Green Bean question

Plano, TX

My Blue Lake beans look terrible- I suppose it is the horrible heat. My question is should I try and keep them alive since they have basicaly shut down production or should I yank them up and re-plant for a fall crop? We are fortuate i Texas to have a long growing season and with global warming we may be year round before long. Thanks for all replies

Placerville, CA

I'm having bean problems too (see below). All my beans are dry and starchy and I'm debating whether to rip up everything too - can anyone recommend a pole bean that can take very hot weather? Does anyone grown rattlesnake beans?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

We grow asparagus beans (also known as asian yard long beans). They keep producing in the hot weather in this zone (7A). You can probably do a fall planting depending on your frost date. Photo of arched bean trellis with summer lettuce underneath. Worked OK but not as good as cool weather lettuce.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

Do these green beans taste like the traditional ones we are used to?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

The taste is pretty close especially when you use roasted garlic sauce with lemon (yum). I think they're in the pea family (Vigna sesquipedalis) like southern black-eyed peas instead of the bean family (Phaseolus vulgaris). We plant them in the bare spots where a regular bean has died or didn't come up so we have a later crop after the pole beans burn out.

Plano, TX

Well I have decided to pull my beans up and amend the soil a little and re-plant for fall. Am I correct in thinking that the beans beginning to grow in august heat should be fine and that by the time they are ready to blossom we will be in a somewhat cooller time?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.