bermuda grass

Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

how can i know it would be safe to use my bermuda clippings in my compost? the last thing i would want is any possibility of bermuda growth in my garden or beds.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

It's my impression that if there are no seeds developing it shouldn't be a problem. How you determine whether there are seeds is way beyond me, though.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I compost anything but roots in my compost, even seeds. Temp your compost pile and make sure it hits 120 F and let it sit and then use it. First of all bermuda grass clippings are not a worry. If you dug up roots then I wouldn't.

Denver, CO

Bermuda grass is particularly tough and rhizomes seem to be atom-bomb proof if they are hardened off. Unless you know100% sure that your pile is hot, don't do it! Remember that a lot of plants can survive 120F...
(In fact, there is a "heat treatment" for cyclamen mites that means putting your houseplants in 120F water for 30 min. It is supposed to kill the mite but not the plant. I just learned that at MO botanical garden's research center.)

I will admit that I have "treated" a handful before by letting it cook in the CO sun for a day, then jamming it directly into a hot 160F pile's center.

And further, like Steve was saying, the leaves will not grow, but: bermuda grass' habit tends to send crowns high enough that they can be clipped by the mower INTACT. Remember that these bits of grass can get stuck in professional lawn mower's equipment for a week or so, then fall out and grow in a new lawn. -And that is the primary way it is spread!

After all that blather, read this:
Burn 'em.
(Or trash'em)
Hope that helps and doesn't confuse.
Kenton

(Ed. for grammer error)

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 11:00 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

See proof that I am not an expert. Where I have lived no bermuda grass could be found. Wow what a horrible plant. We should plant it in a large space like a lawn.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Down here, bermuda is like St. Augustine -- you swear at it or by it, one or the other.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.