New Gold Lantana

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Good Morning, I am interested in planting some new gold lantana: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/59488/. I found some lantana called "gold mound" lantana (lantana camara x montevidensis) and was curious if this is the same thing? I like that the new gold has no berries that are easily gobbled up by our dog, since they're poisonous! Thank you very much, Christina

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're different cultivars (they have separate listings in Plant Files, and I think I've seen them both at garden centers)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I think you're right the more I looked into it. The new gold seems like the perfect plant, but of course the common one is the one that's cheap at home depot! I may try both to see what the big difference is. I'll put the seedless in with pooch, and the other away from her. She won't want to chew the plant, but I think the seeds might be tempting. Thanks, seems like you're always there to answer my questions and I appreciate it!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you get any of the cultivars of L. montevidensis (most of them are either purple or white flowers, I think there's one pale yellow one too) I think you don't get the berries, it's mostly the L. camara cultivars that have them. I'm not 100% positive on this, but at my old house I grew a number of Lantana's and I remember seeing the berries on all the red/pink/yellow ones that I had (all L. camara), but my trailing purple ones and white ones (L. montevidensis) I don't recall ever seeing any berries.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

This may sound like a stupid question, but what does it mean when both names are on the ticket like this: l. camara x montevidensis? Is this a cross between the two? Is that good?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It means it's a hybrid between the two, whether it's good or not depends on what you're looking for. It was bred to have some good characteristics of both species so from the hybridizer's point of view it must have some merits or else they wouldn't be breeding and selling it, but whether you like it better than either of the individual species is more personal taste. I also have no idea if the hybrid would have the berries or not (assuming I'm even correct about montevidensis not having them)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Well I'll hope for the best! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.