Locust shedding his shell

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

This is the first time I have ever seen a Locust right after he emerged from his shell. Kinda neat to see!

Thumbnail by rainy_jane
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

ewwwww, I hate those things, but he is kind of pretty.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Super-WOWsers!

How 'lucky' for you. And a wunnerful photo to boot! Had no idea that they're THAT color when first emerging! A beautiful pale green ...

Also .. I wanna relay a {rather late} .. big ol 'hearty' welcome to DG, to ya .. rainy_jane !!

- Magpye

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Magpye for the kind welcome!
I only wish I had found DG a long time ago. The information shared here from fellow gardens all around the world is invaluable!

Everyone at DG, have been absolutely wonderful!
Gardening is so much more fun, when you have someone who enjoys it as much as you do, to share it with. Don't you think?

Jane

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahhh, Jane .. an understatement!! .. (hee)

((huggs))

- Magpye

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's funny how we all call them locusts when they are cicadias. I didn't know their real name till after I was married.

Exellent photo!! I've never caught one just out.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

funny............

I was raised calling these cicadas not locust. A locust was well what a grasshopper is. You can eat a locust/grasshopper food eaten by John the Baptist. I'm not sure about the cicada's.

calvin

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

In Iowa, we don't have locusts. I wonder how long people have been calling them that here? I was in my early 20's when I found out they're cicadias. I'm 49 now!

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

I too am 49 and have always called these ulgy little creatures Locusts.

I do remember being told they were actually cicadias but old habits are so hard to break, are they not?
Sooooo....I stand corrected.

The grandkids brought these (Cicadias Shells) to me and asked if I would sell them on eBay for them. lol Don't think so!

Seems like we had a bumper crop this year as you can see! YUCK!

Thumbnail by rainy_jane
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!! Don't be too quick to dismiss E-bay! You may get a good price for them!

Bumper crop is right! It must have been deafening. We were relatively quiet for a change.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

You know, I am willing to bet that if you put that bumper crop in a compost pile those exoskeletons would add to the amendment. I am no bug expert or anything just trying to think of a use for all that shed skin. lol

calvin

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Calvin,
You know I was thinking the exact same thing!
I would have to make sure they were crushed really good.

Can you imagine if someone purchased one of my plants and saw bunches of little barbed legs or eye sockets sticking out of the soil?LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!!!!!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I would be worried and shocked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.