Ginger root

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Can ginger root be grown here?

Issaquah, WA

Ive never had experience with the common edible ginger, but I have had experience with one other variety... It did ok, but I could tell that it wanted to have a much much longer season.. It would be a faily cheap experiment to try though ... just get some from the store that has some good eyelets on it.. I know that the leaves on the store bought ginger are very fragrant. .... could even bring it in the house during winter as a house plant.

chris

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

thanks Chris...do you know how I would plant it?

Tillamook, OR(Zone 8b)

I planted a piece from the grocery store once - justpotted in regular potting soil, just below the surface. It grew pretty well. I seem to remember it needed to be kept pretty moist. Then after a few years it just slowly declined and died. It was pretty while it lasted.

edit: I forgot to mention that I brought in inside for the winter.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 9:35 PM

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Is the root still usable for cooking when planted like this?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Karen I did a search for you I will show it to you tomorrow when you come out. Good directions .Ernie

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Thanks Ernie! I'm off to bed now.....see you tomorrow. K~

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Karen lol we forgot the ginger deal I just finished picking the crab it will be a wonderful first time treat of Dunginess crab for Maria thanks. Linda laughed when I said you picked 400 cherries for her. later Ernie

This message was edited Jul 24, 2006 8:52 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.