Mother of Thousands

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Attached is my "mother of thousands". I have read that it dies after it blooms, however, mine continues to bloom and the "babies" are getting ever bigger. Any suggestions how to tame it. As you can see, it is potted with an Aloe plant (they came together as a gift). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx

Thumbnail by missg
(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Does this look like the right plant http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/104703/index.html I've never dealt with this type of plant, but from the write-up I'd just cut it back and use the cutting to propigate new plants.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I've never seen one bloom before! I kinda like it all unruly and free... I have one growing on my desk at work. The bottom leaves are starting to get ugly, those little babies just keep "hatching" don't they? I guess I'd just make sure I had some nice healthy babies and then cut back some of the growth on it... Goodness, how old is the plant? I like it with the aloe. My looks kinda lonely, now... I always called it Mother Plant, but I think Mother of thousands is more accurate... Thanks missg for posting the pic-Bonnie

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

AuntB, I'm glad it helped. I have had it almost 2 years and it just keeps going and going like the Energizer bunny. I have to cut off the top portions as they are getting too heavy and bending over. I think I will start over with the babies even though I enjoy the blooms. Mine continues to bloom and is far from death. However, I would like to split it from the Aloe eventually, but I am unsure how to split it with enough roots to each plant. Good luck with yours!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, It will give you many babies to replace it's self. It took a hard freeze 3 years ago to defeat a major overtaking of my garden. when the big one is pulled, the babies will grow to fill any empty spot. It just takes one of those tiny plantlets to start a big reproductive plant.
Sidney

Orlando, FL

I got one of these at a yard sale and yes it blooms sends up a long runner and has rose kine of blooms and they last quite a while. but I dont like it anymore its a weed those babies you are talking bout come up all over the place and now I am throwing them in the trash. Talk about being invasive there you have a bad one. Anyone that wants some I will be happy to send you some but beware.............Fran

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.