Name our ferns

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

What are the common ferns we have in this neck of the woods? I have lots in my yard but they are all volunteers or were here 20 yrs ago when we bought the house. So many are brown and neglected and i want to revitalize them as soon as I apologize to them.

Olympia, WA

You are probably referring to sword ferns..Polystichum munitum. They are easily cared for. In early spring - before new fragile fronds emerge - clip all the brown and green (from last year). You will be amply rewarded. We do have other ferns, but sword fern is the most prominent....and is "evergreen". The disgusting bracken fern dies back in fall - and I would be happy to not see it return in the spring - alas!.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

cut them back to an inch or 2 or how far?

Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

Get to them shortly before the new fronds start to show and cut the hummers pretty much to the ground! The new growth will be much prettier than the old stuff will be for the season. I was a little late this year and it took me a lot longer than it should have to clean up. :-)

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Let's see, what shall we name your ferns? Bob, Carol, Ted, Alice (yes, I'm that old)
How about some of those lovely but currently underused names like Elody, Enid, Selema, Edna, Eulalie, Bertha, Bula?

Marysville, WA

HERPST,
AND you can get Anything You Want At Alices Restaurant, hehehe

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

fernando, fernabella, fernice, fernetta, and fernny.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.