103+ degrees here, .......... poor chickens !

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I sure feel bad for my poor chickens in this heat. They have plenty of shade and I keep them in fresh water, but it is soooooooo hot. They just sit around with their wings held out and their beaks open.

For the last 2 days, I went out and hosed them down with the water hose. They didn't like it much, but I think it did help to bring their temperatures down a couple of degrees during the hottest part of the day.

Egg production is down too. I'm sure this kind of weather is stressful for them. Even during the coldest part of winter when it was 9 degrees and less, they still layed. Like us, their appetites are less too. They seem to like the greens better than their egg pellets. Hmmm. Yep, A good salad instead of a heavy meal in the heat of summer...........sounds right.

How is everyone else helping their chickens cope with 100+ temperatures this summer ?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I think heat is harder on them than the cold.

I make sure they have a lot of shade and water, like you, Peggie. I also like them to have a dust bath area where it's shady. I'm sure the cool dirt feels good. I've set up the sprinkler to gently mist part of the pen before, but they don't seem to benefit from it like we would. I don't know. We're only in the 90s here.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

We have been 111 here this week. Our egg production is down too.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Y'all, yep we had 101* this week. My chickens were also panting! Thank heavens Theres a big Sycamore tree over their pen! I will spray the tree down with water during the hottest part of the day! That brings down the temp enough to make it bearable for them and me too! I will sit in my garden chair outside their fence then and watch them! It stays cooler there for a good while! ( Might be my imagination ,but sometimes I could almost swear it creates a breeze too!)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think you all have it worse than us. We are kinda used to this kind of heat. Not that we enjoy it though. Supposed to be 114 tomorrow!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I went to WalMart last night and bought a 20" box fan to put in the bird house. We have 2 doors with 1/4" mesh wire over the openings so there is plenty of ventilation but needed a fan to move the air. We've worn out several in there over the years. I have to lock them in at night because of predators.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

I think it was 103 yesterday according to news 105 here at the house that was in side in the shade i stop to pick up food and they said one of the egg houses they knew said they were down 80,000 eggs a day our feed company raises pullets by the thousand last batch they have the amishin the area raise them for them

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Dave, how are the rabbits doing in this terrible heat? I think heat is harder on them than cold temps.

Antrim, NH

You poor folks, and your poor birds! It's been up in the 90s here, but nothing like what some of you have gone through! Ugh!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Just called my son to check on all the animals. It is already 102 and is now supposed to reach 115!!!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 11:42 AM

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

leaflady we lost several that was due to kindle and 4 or 5 fryers that will always be the fastest growers they just can't take the heat there laying around today as if its the most perfict weather the barns were 80 a few minutes ago they have been 90 to 95 at this time for the last week and i agree with them i've been able to do a little work for a change
Everyone have a great weekend
Dave719

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Wow ! Cool front moved in ! We're only supposed to reach 90 today.
That's hot, but nothing like it is when over 100 and high humidity.

We used to live in Texas panhandle where it got plenty hot, but the humidity wasn't very high. Seems that even high temps are easier to bear as long as the humidity is low.

We have had a little rain along the way this summer, so things are not as dry as they were..................which is good. But the down-side is the higher humidity. I feel for the ones that are along coastal areas where it's REALLY humid and hot. Y'all take care in the heat .

Phoenix, AZ

We hit 118 in Phoenix yesterday, and it is tough on all the animals. I have laser tubing set up in the trees, and also a portable cooler aimed at the girls. Did lose one hen, but she has been not well. Had a tumor of some sort for almost a year. She was fine early, ate and was running around. Had the mister on, and the AC. Worked for a few hours, and when I came home she was dead in one of the runs. No obvious injuries, so think the stress of heat and the tumor took her. In one way it is good, she was uncomfortable and I dreaded her getting sick. She had a great personality. But, the others are fine. Lots of shade, water, AC from a portable cooler, and treats during the day. I also notice they take dust baths in the morning. That helps to keep them cooler.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.