Tomatoes, self seeding?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I am really ignorant when it comes to growing veggies. We grew pumpkins and tomatoes (beefsteak) last year. I didn't get the last of the tomatoes off when we had a frost. I left the tomatoes there all winter to wither away on the ground. We planted 2 tomatoes (early girl and better boy) this year in front of some corn (my first time growing corn). I noticed over the last week that I have 3 new tomatoe plants growing in between the corn. The only thing that comes to mind is they are growing from the seeds of the tomatoes I left wither away on the ground all winter. Can this be?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep, they are called volunteers. Most tomatoes seeds will overwinter in the ground.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

There's always something new to learn. I had no clue before this happened. Thank you Farmerdill. I think it's time to head out to the garden before the heat gets unbareable. This is good because the 2 plants I purchased this year aren't doing well. I am going to dig the volunteers up and move them to a better location. Free plants, gotta love that.

Dott

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

As hot as it is, I'd hesitate to move the plants...especially if they are over a foot tall. could stress them enough that they won't make it.

If they really need moving, wait till the temps moderate a bit.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Not to worry Melody, I didn't move them yet. I had a lot of other chores that needed doing. There are 3 seedlings and all are only around 6 inches high so far. We just discovered them a couple of days ago. Two of the 3 are growing right in between the corn and I am afraid they wo't do well since the corn is really getting going finally.

Dott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.