Part 2-Carol's Dahlias for year 2006

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Continuation of my dahlia show.

Coming from:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/621806/

Hope all are enjoying my lovely dahlias so far!!!
Carol

'Fire Magic'-one my most favorite one!!!

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie,
This one is just for you, LOL

'Who Dun It'

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is from Annie again. Thanks again.

I forgot she gave me a white dahlia, so I have another one to use in bouquets now once it gets more blooms on it.

Edited to say, Darn it, forgot to tell you guys the name, duh?

This is 'Chrissie'.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2006 10:21 PM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I am taking pictures after work so the lighting isn't the best so bear with me please.

'Taboo' from Lenjo, Joann, which was overwintered.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

YAY! I am going to love Who Dun It. Guess how many I have? 4! One from you, a cutting from a tuber, and two from Granny! Can't wait.

Oooh little Chrissie: That was such a producer for me last year- courtesy again of Granny! it's coming right along this year too, but still a long way from a bloom.

Fire Magic: when it blooms here, I'll need Kleenex either for tears or drool control. Just gorgeous.

Brace for the heat Carol et al NWer's. I've got the hose ready for take off at about 5 a.m.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This poor guy!
I was walking around my yard and saw this bloom just bent over! I had to cut it off and bring it in.
So the picture is taken in a cup of water, not on an actual plant, LOL

It is huge! I have it floating in a low vase and it looks great!

'Spartacus'

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

An overall shot of 'Karma Lagoon'. I just love this one. The blooms last forever on the plant and seems to take so long to peter out.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

My 2nd most favorite one.
'Jura'

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Overall of my front yard.
Kind of a mess right now due to the lawn being taken out, moving dirt in place (haven't decided whether to put lawn back in or make flower beds which will raise my water bill, LOL), and using the area for a compost pile too.

Edited to say, note the very tall yellow dahlia plant in the upper left corner by the open garage door. It is over 6' tall this year! Was very hard to stake up. Has 3 rebar plus 3 lines of twine holding it up and it still is a struggle!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2006 11:01 PM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Another shot of the front yard. Have some pics of the back yard but the sunlight made the flowers so washed out so will have to try again.............

Delhi, IA

Fire Magic, Taboo and Who Dun It_______ absolute beauties. Someone shared Who Dun it with me but it's little eye end dried up and fell off. So I am in need of those three!!! Sigh____ And a white for bouquets. Stunning.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2006 7:46 AM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Jam.
Too bad about that little eye for you.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow, those are gorgeous! I like them all...but I especially like TABOO and SPARTACUS. I guess I favor the dark ones.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, flower.
I have quite a few dark ones now and they sure are pretty! I do wish the digital camera could really show their true colors tho. In real life, they are even more stunning!

Aptos, CA

OOOHHHH Fire Magic...SO pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very Nice Carol
Spartacus looks great, I should have one similar to Taboo, is Karma Langoon one plant? - that's a lot of flowers!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Sudhira. It is so pretty!
Al, Yes, that is ONE plant. It is 3 years old tho from being overwintered. So hasn't been dug up yet. But even the first year, it produced lots of blooms.

Have a bunch more new dahlias coming along, so can't wait to take pictures to show all you guys!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol, I think that is the loveliest Spartacus I have ever seen! Such a rich vevety red and even petals. Your glads are open- wow! I have one little bud forming on one of mine LOL. The heatwave will help spur things along though.

Glad to hear it sounds like you lost some grass to make room for more flowers- you really need to jazz up that yard of yours with some colorful flowers-not! Don't know how you manage it all and still work.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, that 'Spartacus' bloom is very pretty. But it is kind in the shade under a tree so that may help it. My other 'Spartacus' plant isn't doing well. Is only like 1' high and it was overwintered but.... am not sure why besides it only gets part sun. The other dahlias in the same area are much bigger.

My glads? They are almost done! They have been blooming for a long time.
Am glad yours are starting to bloom tho. I love glads but sure wish they would last longer tho.

Yes, I am going to do more flower beds but am not sure how yet. Is real hard to design beds, you know?
As for work and working the gardens. It is my relaxation and I don't have much other of a life, LOL I don't have much money so I stay away from the stores, don't go too many places, besides the noise hurts my ears (have severe tininitus), so I enjoy my yard so much!
Carol

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, I finally figured out how to take good pictures with this digital camera!!!
Duh, use the close-up macro!
I had been wanting to use it so did today.
So here is:

'Rose Toscano'

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

'Berry Beauty'?
From Lenjo/Joann.
Am not sure on the name tho.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

The correct 'April Dawn'.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here's another brighter picture of 'Brassy'. Is a very pretty yellow waterlily one. I really like it. Wished it had more blooms tho.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is my 'Kelvin Floodlight' that wasn't supposed to be there. Was to have been dug up and given away. But this tuber was left behind. What a hardy plant!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

A better picture of 'Jura' now along with a nice little ole cucumber beetle eating away at it!

Delhi, IA

Rose Toscano____discovered the name by a 'no longer living' little plant. Hope I have another somewhere. It is so pretty.

Oh, to be able to leave plants in the ground. They sure become established when you do. How often do you dig and divide?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

At this place I am living now, I have only dug and divided last year. I dug up the ones I didn't like, ones in the wrong place, and too crowded ones too. Most of them are in raised beds but even the ones not seem to be doing fine and last winter was a colder/harder one.
Have been here 3 years. In the past years, I just left them in the ground.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, Berry Bounty is the name, and it is one we named as we grew it from seed and saved the tubers. It is my favorite so far of the ones we have kept from seed. I love the orangey red tones it gets a little later in the season.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ah, that is the one that was on the side of your house??? Now I remember when I had seen it. I knew you had named it but.... wasn't sure if I had the right name. Yes, it is a very pretty one. Will have to move it tho. Is in the back in the new dahlia bed and doesn't get as much light as needed.
Good to see you are alive, LOL
Hope marionberry harvest went well for you this year.
Carol

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

April Dawn is very nice. Jura too.
Brassy looks like it must be at that max petal layers for a waterlilly too - this little piggy went to the market........;)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol, I will fight Big Al for a tuber of Brassy if you dig it up! LOL! I've decided that I really need a bright yellow waterlily and that one is really pretty.

Love Rose Toscano too. I think I saw that at the PSDA sale and passed on it because I have so many orange ones this year. Shouldn't have, it is lovely.

Lenjo's Berry Bounty is a really rich pink. I'd call it Berry Beauty too.

Looking good Carol!

Chicago, IL

E ni mini myni mo..mo...mo.
LOL. Love them all and want them all.

:-P

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, guys.
I am liking that 'Brassy' more and more each day. It is very large for a waterlily, I will admit. I amy dig it up since it isn't happy in its home this year. So will see what I can do for both of you guys, LOL
I do like that 'Rose T.' Didn't as it opened up but it has grown on me. Isn't the biggest ball flower but is very unique.
Funny, Mone, funny. Yes, I would almost do the same if I had to really pick my top 10 favorite ones.

It is so hot today again, at 104 degrees. My dahlias are actually wilting-looking. Never had them do that before in the normal raised beds. So am going to have to water again tonight if it will stop being so windy!
Have lots more that have buds on them so shall be posting more pics soon.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Poochella, Berry Bounty doesn't really have any pink tone to it at all, Carol's photo looks that way but it really doesn't have any pink, red leaning toward a little orange. When we were doing dahlias commercially we had contests of naming that dahlia and this was chosen as the name of all the names submitted for that particular one and it was submitted by DH's cousin who is also a marionberry farmer. Carol, we are still harvesting; getting closer to finish. What a season; some mold because of rain and now drying up. This heat will finish me off with the berries.And yes, these are the dahlia that was on the south side of my house.Trying to come up with some color to go with the red house. When I was trying to decide which dahlia I picked all the ones I thought would look good and I liked and Berry Bounty was the best; I even tried my favorite, Maarn but it just looked awful next to the red of the house. Have you ever tried matching floors around your house to your house?

Annie, the red waterlily is blooming you gave me, it is wonderful. Can't remember the name till I look at the tag. I think it will be pretty with Golden Egg. http://www.dahlias.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=107

I can't find my picture of Golden Egg, so I borrowed one from Swan Island.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie! Annie!!!
My 'Hawaii' has a bud on it and it will open up soon!!!
Am so excited!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL you guys are like kids on Christmas morning. Lenjo, the waterlily is Contessa, and it was my second dahlia to bloom here. Kind of red orange, isn't it? Golden egg is so slow, coming along day by day but only a foot tall or so. I am going to dose some of the slow ones with epsom salts when I water as soon as the sun gets off the garden- too darn hot for me.

Carol, I have a Hawaii in a pot that is just now showing color on a bud- that's a beauty that came from Willow and a really bright tri color bloom! ( I think I have 3 of them this year- a sure indicator of love for a flower.) By far, the potted dahlias are blooming faster (roots cooking in pure black plastic has something to do with speed, I think!) I have to remember to water them daily.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, flower kids day.
That is what we need. A flower day. A national holiday for flowers, LOL

It is so so so so so hot here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is 104 outside and online it says real feel is 106 and I believe it!

Watered this morning everything, and I mean everything. All drip irrigations and potted stuff. Then just came in from doing it again. Am making the rounds with the drip irrigations on the dahlias. They are drooping/wilting badly!
I sure hope it cools down real soon. I won't be able to afford food next month at this rate, LOL

I have a few in pots but they are whiskey barrels. They actually were slow this year for me. Am not sure why.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

A gal at work sold her house and spent half of the proceeds remodelling and putting in an extensive watering system in her new yard. But the guys who installed the sprinklers set it wrong so it watered for like 8 hours a day and she got a $500/month water bill! "I had the only green lawn in Seattle in August." That is a hefty tab for a small green lawn! If it were for flowers, a different story, but not just grass.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, my goodness. I can't imagine $500 for water, and just for grass, LOL
Tho I totally understand. My Mom's irrigation wasn't set properly and we worked so long and hard on it to get it set right. She had a hefty bill that month too.
Yes, flowers are worth it, grass, nah, lol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, heat relief sounds like it is finally coming. This heat is such a killer. I got water going today and Daisyruffles dear,I owe you an apology. I hoed a few before putting water out and I took another look at Berry Bounty. It does look like a fuschia pink/red. I could have sworn it has orange undertones to it too. I think it is a chameleon because later in the fall it does seem orangey red. HA. I will be watching this one.

Annie, I am sorry Golden Egg is so slow; it is worth the wait, am anxios for your evaluation of Maarn.

Thinking of waterlilies, does anybody have Gerry Hoek, I love this one but have lost it again. I have one called Western Gal that is similar but I do have a partiality to Gerry Hoek.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.