Bamboo

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I thought i'd share some pictures of bamboo from a friends backyard. He has tried everything in the book to get rid of it with no success. It has almost smothered out some of the oaks and pecan trees.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

another

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Here is another one of an oak tree that has started to decline because of drought and the bamboo using up all of the water. The bamboo was cut away from it to try to help it recover.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy

I have never had to deal with bamboo on my property or on State or County land. I know it's nothing but trouble. I'd suggest he contact The Nature Conservancy. There are many people trying to rid themselves of this beast.

Lake Dallas, TX

You should post a thread in the bamboo forum for free bambo at that location. People will gladly come and dig up culms. Try a chainsaw to cut them all down. I think he let it go too far.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

That bamboo is actually in every backyard on that street. It started about three houses down from a neighbor who wanted an "Asian" themed backyard. The only way to get rid of it is to disc it up over and over again, but with mature trees around that is impossible to do. I have personally sprayed it with strong solutions of glyphosate but it was ineffective. I think he may have to invest in one of those D.R. brush mowers.

Hilliard, OH

I did an internet search on removing bamboo and came up with this link. Looks like it might work...
http://www.mrbamboo.com.au/bamboo_care/remove/remov.html

Jomejamo

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Jomejame, i'll pass it along.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.