Riding Mower Help Needed

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a Murray riding mower that normally works fine. I even had it over-hauled this spring. The other day I went to start it and it started to turn then nothing. I thought I'd let the battery go dead, so I put the battery on the charger. Charger showed it as full not long after putting it on. I put it back in the mower - nothing. My neighbor and his friend came over to see if he could help. He tried to start it using a portable battery jumper. Would not jump from the battery. They jumped it directly from the engine (which I thought was very scary, and is probably something dangerous.....) by attaching one cable to a rod looking protrusion coming from the engine and then tapping something else (it all happened so fast). It started and ran, and I mowed fine. Of course once I stopped it, it still wouldn't start. I can't figure out what's wrong, and I really hate to call out for service and pay the $$$ if it's something simple.

I have very little mechanical skills (though I'm trying to learn), but I like to tinker if I have something to go on. Anyone have any ideas?

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!