Fringed loosestrife and tall Meadow Rue

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We were hauling hay home from our other property Monday evening and go through what is now know as Alder Bottom, but is aka Idora Swamp. I was checking out the swamp roses, now in full bloom and fading fast, and looking at the Joepyeweed (blooming) and swamp milkweed (not yet blooming but budded) and I noticed a tall plant with lovely white plumes of small flowers. I went back the next moring and found myself face to face with Tall Meadow Rue ( Thalictrum polygamum) and on the bank and in ditch, fringed loosestrife (Lysimachia ciliata). We have early meadow rue in our woods, and a couple of plants in the yard, but I had never seen the tall. I took one small plant, as a large plantation had already been sprayed by the county highway department and was leafless, and dug a couple of the loosestrife, as it would also share the brunt of the next spray run. Fortunately, both plants run back toward the swamp away from the tender ministrations of the "weed" hating fiends that run the brush hog and sprayers.

I did take some photos, but they are on the film camera - didn't even think to pick up the digital.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Just a follow up note - Stan went through there yesterday and had to stop so a bear could decide whether or not to run across in front of him. It was within 3 feet of where I had dug the plants. And I was worried about humans catching me out! Oh, the bear turned around and went back the way it had come.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Maybe a spotter for the county highway department, looking for the perp?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

lol, Stan said he was moving too fast for a county employee.

LOL. Perhaps they are the US version of Verbena officinalis or was there bear there BECAUSE you left the traditional honeycomb compensation ;)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

ah, no honeycomb. Stan said he was very sleek and had a lovely shiny coat. I hope he also has a cool shady place to lie low in - it is headed for 90 F with 85% humidity. All that lovely fur will be quite uncomfortable, I should think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.