Help with roses- 6a zoners!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

I live in zone 6a, Pittsburgh, Pa. Just bought 2 roses (wild blue yonder and playboy) from Chamblees nursery. They will be shipping the roses around Sept. 18th. If I plant them at this time will there be enough time for them to get established before our first frost or should I change the shipping date to spring. Any help would greatly be appreciated. (Also, don't want to sound stupid, but what is zone6a's predicted or usual first frost date?) NEW POST

This message was edited Jul 19, 2006 1:13 PM

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Mar,
I think you will be fine. Up here, also 6a, first potential frost is Oct 15, but that would not be a problem hard frost for roses.Not sure if its the exact same for you. I've planted roses in fall with no problem.
Dave

Grand Rapids, MI

It's not the top growth you need to worry about for fall and winter, it is the root growth. Plants roots continue to grow and draw food until the ground freezes.
This is why fall is the best season to transplant. As top growth slows or goes dormant, roots are continue to grow.
If you feel more comfortable, go for spring.

Once you get the roses, continue to let them grow until it is just to cold for growth. I've harvested rose blooms as late as November here in Z5 Michigan.

Make sure you protect the graft or bud union from freezing by mulching well before the snow start to collect.

In spring, uncover and give a double shot of food to give them a good jump start. (Single dose if you get the plants in the spring) DO NOT FEED this fall.

Ron
Michigan Certified Nurseryman # 1674
Wildlife Habitat Naturalist

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Dave and Ron - I'm going to plant them this fall and NOT feed them. Where do I find the information on potential first frosts for Pittsburgh, Pa? I've tried so many different ways to find out on the web- past year weather reports, farmer's almanac, etc.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Mar, Your state's agricultural extension service, or even a local nursey.
Good Luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.