'Wine & Roses' weigela

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I am thinking about using this plant in a bed I am currently making, wanted to know any pros & cons about it before I buy it. Does it do well in Zone 8a? Can it be trained to form a hedge? Thanks for any info.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Its fast growing to 4' tall, 4' wide and is basically pest and maintenance free (deer resistant). We are in 8a and they grow fine for us.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I lost a W&R weigela last year, but it was very small when I planted it midsummer (shame on me), and we had high heat and drought conditions that stressed it terribly. I figure losing it is entirely my fault for not tending it better and/or holding off until fall to plant it.

Earlier this week, I selected W&R weigela (3-gallon containers) for someone who isn't *really* into maintaining their shrubs (although they have a heavily-landscaped home - go figure. The plants are sited at the end of their drive, so the bed is very sunny and hot - but the plants are near the lawn, not the pavement AND there is a sprinkler system in place, if they will just use it ;o)

I'm hoping they'll thrive on not much more than water and benign neglect. Should I coach them to do more than that (and if so, what?) especially for this first year?

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

I have one that I planted last fall. It is in a bed that rarely gets any water, and is doing fine. So I would say it is drought tolerate; at least for me.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

If they are in the same zone as you, they will need regular watering until they are established. Wine & Roses™ needs to be planted in full sun for best color - and that means its going to need a lot to drink. If their sprinkler system is automated, there shouldn't be any problems. You can apply fertilizer (24-12-12 or 20-20-20) for better blooms and to help the plant overall but we have people that just put them in their yard and they grow just fine with absolutely NO care. (If you plant them in a container, make sure you incorporate a good slow-release fertilizer into the soil mixture.)

Other than the price, the only difference in a 1 gallon and a 3 gallon Wine & Roses is about.... a month. :)

We are in 8a, and our weather is on the extreme side lately (approaching 100º and the humidity unbearable). We are currently under a 'stagnant air' weather alert. Because they are in pots, we have to ensure they are well-watered - but they are thriving in this heat and are just starting their summer blooms.

We're a full zone (maybe zone-and-a-half colder than you), but we're under the same extreme temps/air quality issues as you, from the sound of things.

I'll emphasize to them (again) they need to keep them well-watered until the temperatures break and the fall rains begin (which usually isn't until late September or even October...)

Thanks for the tip on the container size. They were wanting a "full" look immediately, so I went with the larger containers, but for my own bed, I'll probably do the gallon size. (The one I planted last year started as a liner, and was in a quart pot - shame on me for sticking it out there and not tending it better.)

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

Don't feel so bad Terry. I was leaving for work, after boasting mine was doing so great this morning despite my neglect, and noticed it was in desperate need of a drink. So I got the sprinkler on it now. It should perk up in a day or so. Are we ever gonna get some rain?

I'm guessing if (when!) we do, you'll be in line for it first, then us. Which is fine by me as long as we get some - and sooner than later would be nice!

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

RAIN! We just had a nice thunderstorm - even knocked out my roadrunner... but at least it brought some desperately needed rain!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.