Early report on DeerScram

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

This is an early report, like 48 hours after putting it down. I bought the tub of it for rabbits and other digging critters that think my garden is their playground. I made a border of it, real thick and wide around one garden where rabbits had made part of a warren on Saturday. So far, no more digging in that garden (instead, they moved across my driveway to where I didn't put DeerScram, because I ran out). So looks like I'll be buying more of it. It does have some odor but not bad enough that I wouldn't put it around my patio (besides, when the steak's grilling, that's what I'd be smelling anyway).

Anyone else try DeerScram?

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

BBINNJ,
Did it SAY to put it on real thick??

Best;
bluelytes

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Blue, It said lay it down in a strip 16" wide. I don't have 16" to give up in the perimeter because of where plants are, so I laid it thick instead, figuring I'd get the same total amount down this way. Good thing too, the rains last night washed a lot away, but there still is more to keep on working.

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've tried DeerScram after hearing good reviews of it from numerous customers at the garden center I work in. Most folks say it is effective when paired with a spray such as Liquid Fence or the like. Folks who had luck with it recommended using both types of repellents alternately through the year and reapplying every 6 weeks or so for the perimeter barrier.
Well...MY stinking deer couldn't have cared less about any of that hype. I sprayed, I sprinkled, I shook and I hung small stocking bags of dried coyote urine around a purple leaf sand cherry the night before the Bambi bimbos came and nibbled off all of the leaves within easy reach. The next night, they went and trimmed and tasted cranesbill geranium, false indigo, Jacob's Ladder and and delphinium which had also been treated and are all supposedly deer resistant (rated RARELY on the Rutgers extensive list which also has classifications of SELDOM, OCASSIONALLY, and FREQUENTLY damaged).
I think I have found an answer. I requested and recieved permission from the 3 neighbors within 450 feet of my property and have invited 2 safe, licensed and highly experienced bow hunters to come hunt my land for the 3 months it is legal in this state. There is a good butcher two towns over and a freezer just waiting to be filled with bucks and breeders.
DEER!

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

LadyCleo: Wanna borrow my Collie? We'll be happy to visit you in Plainfield. He'll work for baby carrots.

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL BBinNJ! I've got a shepherd/lab mix and both the deer and the dog have grown accustomed to each other and only make a small run for show. Bring on the Collie! I'd love to have a visit from a fellow plant geek and her pet. :-)

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi, Oh that's funny. We may take you up on it; the Collie will try to herd the deer rather than chase them. But when he barks his orders, they may flee (when he barks orders at the horses at the Rutgers Equine Center, where my daughter is a student, they just look at him indulgently, then do what they are supposed to).
Beverly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.