Viburnum dentatum fruit display

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You may just have to wait till I get home to edit the pictures with the clonal names, but the work computer can post the pics the fastest. Here are a few of the arrowwoods showing off their midsummer wares, just ahead of the birds coming to feast.

Note: I think I have upwards of twenty different species/clones/relatives in this group. What I've pictured so far are the ones that have colored up. There are a whole lot more to go, and they'll last into September if I recall correctly before our avian friends have consumed them all.

Number 1 is Viburnum dentatum Crimson Tide™.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 9:44 PM

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Number 2 is Viburnum dentatum Crimson Tide™.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 9:44 PM

Number 3 is Viburnum dentatum Crimson Tide™.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 9:47 PM

Number 4 is Viburnum dentatum Red Feather™.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 9:47 PM

Number 5 is Viburnum dentatum Chicago Lustre®.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 9:49 PM

Number 6 is Viburnum rafinesquianum.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 9:50 PM

Number 7 is Viburnum dentatum Blue Muffin®.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 9:52 PM

Number 8 is Viburnum dentatum Blue Muffin®.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 9:52 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SP.....I love the fruit...they all look like they are growing in alot of sun....how about some shade ...would they still fruit up like that? Your pictures a a little better than mine..not much but a little.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Blue Muffin just thinking about coloring up here--all the rest are green still. Don't ya just love that 'Red Feathers'?

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've got a serious viburnum jones and these pictures don't help. Today, insteading of eating during my lunch hour, I ran to the closest nursery to check out the V. dentatum varieties. They had "Morton" and "Autumn Jazz." and I don't know anything about either but I bought one of each. I'm thinking of stopping at the Home Depot on the way home to see if they've got anything left.

Somebody help me . . .

...asked and answered.

Number 9 is Viburnum dentatum Indian Summer™.

Number 10 is Viburnum dentatum Indian Summer™.

Number 11 is Viburnum dentatum Cardinal™.

Number 12 is Viburnum dentatum Cardinal™.

Number 13 is Viburnum dentatum Little Joe™.

Number 14 is Viburnum dentatum Little Joe™.

Number 15 is Viburnum rafinesquianum again.

OK. To answer some questions/comments:

Levilyla:

They will fruit as heavily as they can flower. If they are not flowering heavily in the shade you describe, then they can't have heavy fruit. Fruiting is also pretty dependent on cross-pollination, so make sure you have several different clones overlapping in bloom time.

Kevin:

I like Red Feathers™, but it doesn't seem as unique when you get to watch others perform alongside it. My jury is still out on where my preference lies in this symphony of sapphire starlets.

Farflung:

Autumn Jazz™ is also known as 'Ralph Senior'; 'Morton' is trademarked as Northern Burgundy™. They are late bloomers for me, and thus their fruit is still green here. AJ is the absolute last to start blooming, at the end of the pack with 'Emerald Luster', and has heavy lustrous dark green leaves. Neither are bad choices. They are both full size (to 12' x 12') shrubs.

Give a shout if I can do anything about counseling your pathology.

The Doctor is In (5¢)

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

You post pics, but not a single one of Viburnum cassinoides 'Wild Raisin'?

Don't you always wonder and wish the person posting would not edit their posts? I mean what did it say before it was edited?? Did the person get confused when naming what virburnum was what? Nah, couldn't happen, not to VV.

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info on my recent fixes, VV. However, going to you with this particular pathology would be like asking one's bartender for help with a drinking problem. The reference to Charles Schultz sure made me smile, though!

Wild Raisin:

While you were out ogling Kevin's knees and Dax's dawn redwoods, I was collecting and posting educational shots of arrowwoods.

If you had been paying attention when I posted the original pics (from my work computer), all I provided was a photo and a number. I think I even noted that originally. Viewers would have been left with no ID at all, had I followed your prescription.

Example of original post: Number 1
Edited post: Number 1 is Viburnum dentatum Crimson Tide™.

Now, concerning images of Viburnum cassinoides: I have been planning quite the retrospective of this delicious dainty, but I may have to reconsider if the peanut gallery gets too restless. I'm up to around a dozen or so seedlings, clones, and relatives, and they are fruiting to beat the band this year. That would make a nice thread of its own, and doesn't need to compete with the arrowwoods here.

If I close my eyes real tight, I can recite the names of the 65 viburnums in the first row of the collection where the photos were taken...

"...Crimson Tide™...'Perle Bleu'...Indian Summer™...Cardinal™...Red Feather™...."

This message was edited Jul 27, 2006 6:44 PM

Excuses, excuses. I only had plants and a list of names. I didn't have knownnamed plants. Let it go John.

(Edited to remove crass though accurate references to the heretofore-mentioned resident of Scott County)

This message was edited Jul 19, 2006 6:28 PM

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

......Still no blue fruit on high elevation populations of V. dentatum in my area.

conifer50

Thumbnail by conifer50
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SP...why don't you just get a new computer? AND what is so great about V. cassinoides?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
(Edited to remove crass though accurate references to the heretofore-mentioned resident of Scott County)

Makes me wonder . . . why doesn't Decrepit live in Scott County, and VV live in John County, and Shortleaf and Bill in Will County? (Maybe I'll start a petition to change my county's name to Guy County!)
Terry, how was the St. James tree this time? Did you water it?

Guy S.

Oh how funny. VV edited his post once again, making me look like I was insulting him without provocation. When all I did was click to edit (immediately after I posted) after I copied his edit and pasted it into my own post. Changing out Bureau County for Scott County of course.......

Guy, 1 week turned into 3...I got home last night. Yes, I watered the tree. The place isn't opened on Sundays, so you were lucky I brought my own 5 gallon bucket. I filled it 3 times and watered. I'm sure it could of used a lot more, but dang, it was a long walk from the spigot to the tree. Plus, it was 98 outside. The water just soaked right in. I'd bet that nobody there has watered the tree at all. Couldn't stop on my way home yesterday, the bucket was filled with rocks.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Welcome home sweetie, and thanks so much for doing that!
You have a lot of catching up to do now . . .

Guy S.

Guy, Thank you. I really wanted to stop on the way home, but like I said, Bull Shoals is minus a few rocks...shhh....it's illegal for me to take any rock (like they don't have enough). I've got a really nice one on the boat waiting for my dad to carry up to the house. I'm trying to catch up, but I woke up extremely dizzy this morning. Yea, yea, more than normal. Oh and you should see the color of my hair now......

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Purple?
Pink?
Bald???

Very blonde. Is bald a color? I'll have to tell John.

Following through on reporting the fruit display of various arrowwood viburnums....the northern OH source, Lake County Nursery, has a series of introductions. Here they are.

Number 16 is Viburnum dentatum Fireworks™ ('Firzam').

Number 17 is Viburnum dentatum Tecumseh™ ('Teczam').

Number 18 is Viburnum dentatum Blue Blaze™ ('Blubzam').

Number 19 is Viburnum dentatum Tonawanda™ ('Tonzam').

Finally, a species closely related to Viburnum dentatum (arrowwood) is Viburnum bracteatum. An excellent selection of this species was made by Dr. Michael Dirr some years ago, and was the first one I planted here at the Valley. Without further ado, here it is.

Number 20 is Viburnum bracteatum 'Emerald Luster'.

Number 21 is another Viburnum bracteatum 'Emerald Luster'.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Say, can I have some of your purple berries...

And I do like that "Tecumseh." It's amazing how much variation there is on such a simple theme as Viburnum dentatum.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.