Something's killing my sedum

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

This is the third year that one or more of the 'Autumn Joy' sedum I have has died. I thought it was crown or root rot, and I've replaced the lost ones the last two years. This year, I happened to have the camera out when the lighting was just right, and look what I found! Bleah. What are these nasty thing, and how do I get rid of them? This year all the remaining sedum seem to be affected, not just one or two as in the past. Do I have to yank them all?

I guess I'm asking, "Can this sedum be saved?"

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thumbnail by winging
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I wonder if it might be related to damping off which is a fungus. I use a solution of chamomile tea for damping off prevention in seedlings with good results. The concentration I use is 1 teabag for a quart of water, let it stand overnight and spray on and around the plant. It can't hurt unless you drown the plant. In your case I wouldn't just spray, I would pour plenty of it right on the root/stem area. Let us know what happens if you do decide to do this. Your sedum might prefer a dryer place in the future.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

I don't see any critter's in there, it looks too wet IMO. Whenever I have problems caused by too much water ie. rootrot, I use plain old hydrogen peroxide(H2O2) mixed with tap water. Measuring isn't very crucial at all IMO, roughly 1/4-1/2 cup per gallon of water. By adding H2O2 to water, the root systems can literally get more oxygen sitting in this solution than allowing to roots to dry out. I've had potted plant's get rootrot so bad, you could smell the rot w/o even stirring anything. Upon closer inspection, you could see the roots all brown and slimey. 24 hours after running a peroxide solution through the soil, the stink is gone and you'll see white roots again in no time.
I think I would try it no matter what you think the problem might be as the plant can only benefit from the extra oxygen and the "cleansing" that results from oxidizing as the H2O2 breaks down into water and oxygen.
I hope this helps, let me know what happens no matter which steps you take to correct.
Goodluck;)
JD

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmmm, I was thinking those white spots were bugs. I admit, I haven't stuck my nose right down in there. :)

Thanks for the suggestions about the chammomile and peroxide. I'll give them a try and report back. I have nothing to lose at this point. I'm getting to the point in my gardening journey where I am okay with yanking something that isn't working out. I used to just keep trying and trying and trying even if it was a losing battle.

Thanks again!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Since you have several plants you could try one remedy on half and the other on the rest and see what works. You might save some of them. Meanwhile, if any part of the tops are good, cut off some pieces to root and plant in another location.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.