Show us your Summer Bulbs & Discussion Part 3

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Summer bulbs are the spotlights in the garden now, so let's see 'em! Here's a link to Part 2:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/618314/
Crocosmia 'Lucifer' has cranked out blooms for at least a month now:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the sprinkling of intense color they provide.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
somewhere, PA

Neal - I don't have any pictures from this year's bloom so here's
last year Lucifer show from my garden!

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have some of those but they are still in a pot struggling to get out! I think I can find a spot in the new bed.

This is a new one this year for me, Lilium Bellingham Hybrids which I expected to be bright red. I found there are some yellow, but what a yellow!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Your crocosmia look very happy Tam.

Janet, that lily is quite special!

Trying to get a decent shot of the dark throat of 'Lucifer'. Reminds me of coals and embers. I love they way it echos the daylily behind it.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Some of my caladiums are finally starting to get showy. They've been quite slow this year. Here is 'Freida Hemple' with 'Muscadet' lilies:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Caladium 'Aaron' with a coleus mix I started from seed:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Caladium 'Gingerland' with 'Black Knight' alternathera, scented geraniums, and fuschia in a window box:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Love gingerland!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's my crocosmia. I got it last yr from ilovejesus. I'll have to ask her what variety it is as I don't know. It is a gorgeous orange.

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Mmmmmm Stargazer......

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Another mmmm plant: acidanthera glad

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Can you show a close up?

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

LOVE tuberose! I could sniff 'em all day....

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Sure boojum! The close-up pic is too blurry but here goes>>>

This is from the PF: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/756/index.html

This message was edited Jul 19, 2006 8:20 PM

Thumbnail by berrygirl
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Berrygirl, this is a plant that had done very poorly for me. details, pls. how long have you had, how many, where planted, fragrance.

Enviously yours,

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Voss,
I planted these in the Spring. I got the bulbs at a Wallyworld close-out bulb sale. These are growing in a wine barrel with petunias- lol! They are in part sun. I water them every other day.
I had some a few yrs ago but they died over winter and didn't return. Hope these do.

Dont know if that was any help at all.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

A couple of my summer favorites (which I'm not sure qualify as bulbs, per se, but come close, I think!)

Liatris spicata

Thumbnail by tabasco

and pardancanda

Thumbnail by tabasco
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

My Gloriosas have started blooming!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Closer:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

Neal, do you over-winter your Gloriosa in the ground? I love your Caladium gingerland!

Oh, I luv those gloriosas! so charming!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Gloriosas are some of the many tender bulbs I haul in every fall. They do have a charm all their own; look like little flames to me. I love those warm zone plants so much, and I'm so cheap, it's worth the effort to dig them all up. However, to make it a bit easier in the future, I'm considering doing most of them in containers next year. Just came in from working on my "in the works" tropical garden where I'll be using most of them.

Gingerland is one of my favorite caladiums too. They still have'nt gotten as lush as last year, but I'm still hoping.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

The gloriosa tuber I planted didn't come up. I dug it up a few days ago to see what was going on and it was hollow.......rotted out. Grrrrr.... I had my doubts when I planted it.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

While this tuberous begonia is pretty, I've practically ignored it. It's one of 3 I have now, out of 48 I started out with last year. I got some not so good quality tubers (I later realized) and made some mistakes in their culture, then lost several during winter storage. And to beat it all, this is one that was replaced because of mislabling. Since it's giving this group of potted plants some much needed color, I'm finally starting to see it in a good light, instead of a reminder of a huge failure, lol.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

It gets hot and finally the Elephant ears start to grow. Just getting the first pretty leaves from Colocosia esculenta 'Illustris'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

And the Alocasia too.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

I'm glad your Illustris is only just growing, so is mine. It's still small but keeps it's leaves until late winter then dies back inside. Mine is still in a pot, it will be a long time before I have enough to risk it in the ground. I got it as a tiny plug.

I guess these are also dug up for the winter?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh yes, these will come inside too. I really should have potted the Illustris, as when I had them before they did'nt really form a bulb (tuber, or whatever), just a mass of roots and runners. Same when I've grown Black Magic. I usually only see these varieties offered as tiny plugs, but strangely these were offered at Walmart as golf ball sized bulbs.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Gemini sage, do you store the Illustris in the pot, then? I have a large pot of it this year and another pot in my tiny pond.. would like to reuse them next year. Thanks-Bonnie

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, storing in the pot is ideal, so you're in good shape. For some reason I planted them in the ground (knowing better, lol), so I'll probably pot them in fall and do the same. I grew them a couple of years ago, and when I dug expecting to find bulbs, I found a network of runners and hair roots. I stored the mess in a bag of potting soil, but all I saved were a few tiny sprouts that did'nt survive. Until this spring I thought they must not form bulbs, but these came as golf ball sized bulbs from Walmart. They got quite large when I grew them before, so I can't figure why they did'nt form bulbs. I'm curious as to what I will find when I dig these.

My Illustris has a hard feeling base,, could it be more like a banana cormous base?

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I know if you dig up a growing caladium there will be no "bulb". I start with holding water late in September and once the leaves have turned brown I dig the bulbs.... My theory: the roots feed off the leaves to "re-form" the corm or bulb that we store for next year. So maybe it's the same way with the illustris? (pic is thai beauty-my newest)

Thumbnail by AuntB
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Ooooh, that's gorgeous!!

Thumbnail by kbaumle

Now I'm gettng really jealous!

I accidentally pulled this stem off my Alstroemeria Julietta zaprijul, but saw a good photo oportunity!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

My other no name Alstroemeria. The make a cluster of long finger like fleshy tuberous roots.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Wallaby, I adore alstroemeria. They have been so hard to find this year and the ones available simply too expensive for my taste. Yours are so fine!

Voss take a look at Julietta in PF and my comments, there's a lot on this one from the Princess Lilies website. Some of these are spoken for already!

I was lucky, just one of those and another ruby coloured one which I didn't buy, at my Supermarket and I think it was £5.99. Worth every penny! We have Dutch growers delivering regularly to a couple of local garden centres too, but I don't visit often now. Too risky!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I wish we could grow alstroemeria here (as a perennial). I just love them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.