A beneficial insect id

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Somewhere on this forum there was a person that had a hole dug beside a plant and they wondered what it could be. Maybe a mole or vole?
I discovered a hole next to a newly planted brugmansia. Could it be a mole or a snake?
Look what popped out!
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in573
My brother says it is Specius speciosus (Drury) but I'm not totally convinced just yet that it isn't Sphecius hogardii (Latreille). This critter was so huge and it scared me so badly when it crawled out I took the picture real fast and ran. I know I saw alot of rust color on this bug but the description doesn't say the rare rust colored one has yellow on it.
Now that I know it won't attack me I'll be more comfortable to be patient and try to get a better picture.

Anyway .... Specius speciosus (Drury) is pretty common in some parts of the USA. So if you see a hole beside your plant it might be one of these Cicada Killers. Very beneficial!

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

tunnel opening

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

big ol'critter 1.5 - 2 inches long!

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Now I've learned something. Pretty cool. Good pics.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

wow he is a big sucker... And us with the 17 year locust on the way in about 3 years... Hope we have a few, too!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, I though all the holes in my garden were from mice... I would love to find out a few are Specius speciosus!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I think my holes are from mice or chipmunks. Today I found several holes next to my potato plants. I think they were excavating for buried treasure.

Speaking of treasure, last Friday I put my 50 cents into the vending machine at work, and plucked my Coke out. Then I noticed that there was another Coke. I picked that up. Then I noticed two more Cokes. In all, 12 Cokes came flooding out of the machine!

Karma. Considering all the change I've lost in vending machines throughout the years....

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Now if only that would happen at my ATM when I do fast cash!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.