Transplant HELP! what shoudl I do or not do???

Visalia, CA

Ok Ive searched te net and found lots of advice but y situation is a little different..... while out buying palm trees at a nursery that shut down down approx 7 years ago or so I ran across 4 Japanese Maples (little green leaves, not sure of the type). These trees were lanted in 24 in boxes which were still intack but roots there were some larger roots (1 inch think at most) that had grown out the bottom. I bought the trees and they lossened them from the ground very easily. Took mybe 15 minutes to load all 4 of them. They rocked the trees back and cut the larger roots that were through the bottom. There were not a lot of these roots, maybe 3-4 on each tree.
I planted the trees at my home and they did fine for about 3 weeks and then very slowly the leaves started to dry up and turn brown thus falling off. At this point they have been here at the house for about 2 months now and they have alot of dead leaves now, on some up to 25% or more is dried out. My wife is afriad they are dying and Im not sure what to do.
These trees range from 10 foot high to 15 foot high and most are about 8 foot across, trunks adverage 6 to 10 inches arcross. They are in fun sun as they were at the nursery with temps up to 105. From what I have read this would be enough to do this but it is the same as were they came from just miles from my house and they were doing great. Any advise? The root balls were 24 inch boxes and full or roots.... they look horrible and getting worse each week. I just though it wierd they are turning brown slowly, at this rate they should be leafless in about 2 months. Are they slowely dying?

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

What zone are you in? I am not familiar with your city. They may just be in some shock. We have a couple of folks from California here that know what they are doing, hopefully they will chime in for you. It sounds like the transplant went a bit rough. I have only a little JM experience, however.

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I would say just standard shock ...trasplanted at a bad time of year ...which sometimes ya don't have a choice ..keep weekly ( not soaked) and regurally watered watered ( don't let them dry out but don't monsoon them either!!) DO NOT FERTILIZE ...hopefully the roots were pruned a bit and spread out ..I would guess yoiu will loose some of each tree ( branches) but next spring they should be fine albiet a bit lighter... there is a chance they won't make it ...but there's absolutly NOTHING you can do about it IMHO...but my guess is they will be fine...post a couple of jpegs this site is easy to do so ...just keep 'em not too big or they wont upload .. David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.