Poor Maggie

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

My DH and I just got home from a 2½ week vacation to Europe. Being responsible pet owners, we had Maggie stay at a kennel we know we can trust. This just goes to show that anything can happen. LOL

Apparently, on July 4th, we had a really bad thunder storm and Maggie got really freaked out. The only thing we can figure is that she tried to climb the kennel wall and got her foot stuck in the chain-link. The lady who owns the kennel had just been out there and Maggie was fine. She went back there 10 minutes later and Maggie was a bloody mess. After taking her to the emergency vet (because it was a holiday and our vet was closed) they found out she had a laceration on her leg and had broken both the ulna and radius in her right front leg. A few days later they got her in to see our regular vet and with as active as Maggie is, they recommended putting pins in her leg so it could heal properly and she would be back to normal when it is all healed. Maggie is on Benadryl to keep her calmed down enough to let her leg rest. She has a history of seizures, so we can't give her a regular sedative. She has another appointment on Thursday and if the cast has gotten too big, she will have to be anesthetized again to put a new cast on.

After all this, I just want to say to anyone reading this that if you ever put your dog in a kennel make sure you have set a high enough limit on your allowable expenses for vet care in your absence. We had a limit of $2000 and this injury took every bit of that and a little more. I am very glad they went and spent the extra though......Maggie is one of the family and I can't imagine not paying whatever it took to fix her leg. We will definitely be raising the limit for her vet care in our absence. The people who own the kennel said that some people only have a limit of $200 or $300. If this was so for us, and there was no way for them to reach us, they would have put Maggie to sleep while we were gone. :o(

This message was edited Jul 17, 2006 7:04 PM

Thumbnail by mgh
This thread has 225 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!