What Tropical Fruit are you Growing?

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

Below is a list of what tropical fruit & not tropical I have in my yard. What are you growing?

Tropical/Subtropical

Atemoya, Bananas (Gran Nain, Cavendish, Thousand Fingers & Dwarf Cavendish), Carambola (‘Sri Kambangan’), Barbados Cherry, Cherry of the Rio Grande, Guava (Strawberry/Cattley Guava, ‘Ruby Supreme’ & Pineapple Guava), Grumichama, Jaboticaba, Kiwifruit (Golden, Tomuri & Vincent), Mango (Julie, Nam Doc Mi & Rosey Gold), Passion Fruit (Giant Granadilla, Purple Passion & Red), Papaya (Brazilian Sunshine, Dwarf ‘T R Hovey’, Mexican Red & Hawaiian Solo) , Soursop/ Guanabana, & Sugar Apple/Sweetsop.

Citrus

Grapefruit ‘Ruby Red’, Kumquat (Centennial & Marumi), Lemon ( Meyer & Variegated Pink), Lime (Persian) , Limequat(‘Lakeland’), Pummelo (‘Hirado Buntan’), Sunquat, Tangelo ‘Honeybell’ & Tangerine (‘Ponkan’).

Not Tropical

Blackberry (‘Apache’ & ‘Arapaho’), Blueberry (‘Misty’, ‘Millenia’, & ‘SharpBlue’), Fig (‘Black Mission’ & ‘Brown Turkey’), Grape (‘Thompson Seedless’), Loquat, Nectarine (‘Sunraycer’), Peach (‘Flordagold’ , ‘Flordaprince’, ‘Tropic Beauty’ & ‘Flordaking’), Persimmon (‘Fuyu’), Pomegranate (‘Wonderful’) & Raspberry (‘Heritage’).

Fulton, MO

Sweetsop, Jaboticaba, Australian Brush Cherry, Dragonfruit, Musa (DC, Dwarf Red, and Dwarf Orinoco), Coffee, Mango (Carrie and Cogshall), Lychee (Brewster and Sweetheart), Fig (BT), Guava (Strawberry, Nana, Lemon)

Dwarf Pom probably doesn't count.

Citrus: Satsuma, Washington Navel, Calamondin, Persian Lime, Meyer Lemon, Nagami Kumquat, Valencia

Cherimoya, Rose Apple, and Wax Jambu are on the way.

SB

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Bananas (several kinds) papaya, strawberry guava, dragonfruit, richardson orange, pink lemon (variegated)
budda hands, sugar apple, coffee, mango, pomegranate.
Some of these I grow in pots and some in the ground.
I also grow other non tropical fruit.
Linda

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I forgot I also have pineapple, passion fruit and my prized starfruit tree.
Linda

Plano, TX

Bananas- two dwarf cavendish, Don Gillogly avocados (Don and Gill), Satsuma mandarin, Mexican lime, Navel orange, Meyer Lemon.

Non-tropical: Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and grapes.

Sweet lapin cherries, peach and apricot.

This is my first year to grow all these aside from my vegetable garden which has: tomato, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, banana pepper, sweet basil, lime basil, cucumbers, yellow crook neck squash, zucchini, potato, onion, 2 upside down tomatoes, strawberries, lettuce, spinach, radish, dill, onion chives, green beans, okra and swisschard.

You can see i bit off a lot and need all the information I can get on the fruits and tropicals. Good thread

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

Jltbaw

Are you growing the sugar apple, coffee or mango in the ground? If the passion fruit is left outside does it freeze to the ground?

I find it very interesting at the number of people growing tropical fruit plants in cold regions. I have problems with some of my tropicals with the mild winters we have here. My soursop lost its leaves and flushed out new growth 3 or 4 times last winter. It would not go dormant. I have been told that is why they can not be grown here.

We got a late cold snap and my Thousand Finger banana had just put out its bloom. The leaves all fried and the bloom never got full size but some of the fruit did ripen.

I have my first sugar apples on my trees now and am looking forward to trying it. I got it at one of my Rare Fruit Club meetings raffle and it is only a couple of years old. It was kept in a small pot and it has fruited before my other larger sugar apple in the ground and my Atemoya which is also in the ground.

DW

Thumbnail by dwallace59
Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I can't really list everything off the top of my head anymore. Some unexpected issues this winter, plus a late frost set back so many things that I don't think I have fruit set on anything tropical but the Valencia orange at the moment, though I'm watching the guavas.

Tropicals:
Bananas--ele ele, ice cream, cavendish, maybe a few others
passionfruit--ligularis, mollisima, edulis, and many others
pineapple guava
strawberry guava
papaya--'Sunset'
starfruit
unknown annonas (sugar apple, soursop, and/or atemoyas--lost the tags)
mango--Ataulfo
dwarf pomegranate--this set fruit last year, has been in bloom for a couple months
campbell valencia orange--has some nice parthenocarpic oranges set
kiwi--a. chinensis
pineapples--can't recall the names

Other:
Figs--celeste, latarula, and seedlings
cherries--'Bing'
chokecherries--virginia, and red
sand cherries
grapes--many varieties, red, green, and black, grow around the back fence
blueberries--high/low bush hybrids
strawberries--alpine red and yellow, and everbearing
rasberries--neighbor's just sort of crept in under the fence, now we have them
salmonberries--brought from the native plants on our previous property
mulberries--that I can't get rid of

I'm sure I've missed a few on each list. I really enjoy landscaping with edibles, and many of the tropicals make beautiful and unusual ornamentals, even when they don't fruit for me.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Let me see! I'm in zone 7b so the tropicals are grown in a greenhouse.

Tropical:
avocado
strawberry Guava
Ruby red grapefruit
Starruby grapefruit
Blood Orange
Pummelo
Satsuma orange
Owari Satsuma
Yuzu
Mandarin orange
Kumquat
Lemonquat
buddha's hand
Valencia orange
Navel
Calamondin
Improved Myers Lemon
Sambo lemon
Ponderosa Lemon
Lisbon Lemon
Variegated Pink lemon
Key Lime
Loquat

Non-tropical:
Asian Pear
Barlett Pear
Colonade Apple
Dwarf Peach
Muscadine
Scuppernoge
Persimmon
Pomegranate
plum

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here in Tampa I have a house I work at that has a Jackfruit tree.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am lucky because all my clients have one or more trees of various fruits. I get to pick some kind of food crop every week, lucky me.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
bundaberg, Australia

Tulloch52 Bundaberg Qld Australia = Sub-Tropical some trees may sound like cool/climate but have been developed for the Sub-Tropics.
Orange-Lemon-Mandarin-Lime-Pommelo-Tangelo-Tangerine-Guava (Strawberry-Common Aussie-Fejoa-Indian-Thai-Hawaiin)-Pear-Plum-Peach-Peachcott-Brazilian cherry-Acerola cherry-Sour Sop-Jaboticaba-Carambola-Sapote(3 Types)-Jambolin plum-Apple(Golden Dorset)-Star apple-Rose apple-Dwarf Peach-Wampi-Madrano-Nashi Pear-Babaco-Japanese Raisin-Tamarillo-Longan-Cumquat-Sea Grape-Ice Cream Bean-Grumachama(Black&white)-Pitomba-Cherimoya-Macadamia-Mulberry(Black&White)-Coffee-Paw Paw-Papaya-Bananas-Peanuts-Gouda-Dragon Fruit-Devil's Tomato-Lettuce Tree-Cabbage Tree(Chou Moullier).

bundaberg, Australia

Dear Dave's Garden Helpers,
I need advice on Chinese Date(Jujube). Has anyone planted from seed.As i am unable to obtain seedling/cutting i tried to germinate from seed without success. i even tried placing the seed in food storage compartment of fridge for sixty to ninety days with no luck. Not yet any way as some seeds are still in pots but should have seen the light of day by now.

Fulton, MO

This link: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jujube.html doesn't give any advice on seed germination, but it does say that seed from self pollinated cultivars is usually nonviable.

Paris, TX

I started a papaya from seed last year in a flower bed. I had about 10. When winter approached I dug them up and put in my greenhouse. I killed all but two from too much watering. I just planted them this spring in the ground in their pots. One got about 3 ft tall and looked sick so I pulled it up and put it on my patio. They were both in full sun. It has recovered but does not have many leaves. The one still in the yard is full of leaves and has about 6 tiny baby papayas. Too little too late as the evenings are getting cooler. The truck is a diameter of about 3 inches. Pretty big for only a two yr tree. I plan to try to pull the pot out of the ground and replant in another larger pot and bring into my sunroom. I know they do not like change but it is either do this or let it die this winter.
Wish me luck. My husbands says the roots are probably six feet deep.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

Raggins

From my experiences papayas have a relatively small root system. I have grown them in containers and in the ground but have never dug up one in the ground.

I have had them blow over in a rain storm but it was after many days of rain and the tree drowned I think. A couple of the trees were 15’ plus with a 6” caliper and the root ball was only 18” - 24” across. The root ball might have been reduced some due to the water causing it to rot but I really don’t know how much.

Good Luck

DW

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a lemon tree that has never bloomed - 4' tall in full sun. I have Calamondin that bloomed and produced twice about 4 years ago, but not since. I have bananas and Passion vines, too.

I NEED a grapefruit or sweet orange tree - anyone have either/both (blooming/producing-size) to trade? Email me at plant_lady2Xhotmail.com. Replace the X with @ to email me, and please put 'CITRUS' in the subject line. Thanks!

Scott, LA(Zone 8b)

Dale, since nobody else has asked I will. What the heck is a Jackfruit tree? What does it look like when cut opened and what does it taste like. How, tall does it grow? Lastly, if it is edible, where can one buy the plant?

The only edible plants that I have in my yard are Satsuma, Meyers Lemon, Tangerine, Loquart, (not tropical, Pecans-different varieties). My mother has, grapefruit, lemon, satsuma, fig, persimmon, muscadine, plum, blueberry and fig.

lilbit

This message was edited Oct 8, 2006 6:42 AM

This message was edited Oct 8, 2006 6:45 AM

Fulton, MO

Lilbit, here is Jackfruit (I have also seen it spelled Jakfruit): http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/910/index.html
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jackfruit.html

Pine Island has Jakfruit: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/fruitproducts_gl.htm

Scott, LA(Zone 8b)

Stessbaby,
Thanks for the links. Too bad the tree gets so big, cause I know it would be in my back yard with my other trees. I showed the picture to my DH and all he could say was "Kawww".

Paris, TX

I pulled up my papaya tree that I had planted in the ground in a pot yesterday. The temperature was to be in the 40's last night. Sure enough only a few small roots had grown out the bottom of the pot. It is now in my sunroom. It is not growing straight and I had to put 2 bricks in the pot to keep it from turning over. Do you think it will be in too much shock if I repot it? It is about 6 ft tall and has alot of leaves and small fruit.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

Chinese Jujube or for that matter any Jujube is almost impossible to germinate. So, you need to get a grafted plant if you really want to enjoy the fruit. They are cold hardy and drought hardy. Overall, they can take lots of abuse once they are established.
===================================================================================
tulloch52
Dear Dave's Garden Helpers,
I need advice on Chinese Date(Jujube). Has anyone planted from seed.As i am unable to obtain seedling/cutting i tried to germinate from seed without success. i even tried placing the seed in food storage compartment of fridge for sixty to ninety days with no luck. Not yet any way as some seeds are still in pots but should have seen the light of day by now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.