Zucchini

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone. This was my first year growing zuchs. I found that initially I would have alot of fruit, but it wouldn't get big. They would also shrivel up right away. Now I am starting to get some nice sized fruit. My question is, what was with the small ones that shrivelled up? Is that normal?

Thanks,
Anita

Grand Rapids, MI

On most squash, melons and cukes, when things first start out there aren't enough male and females blooming at the same time. I suspect, the baby squash weren't pollinated so they shriveled up and fell off.
There are times when you have to take a Q-tip and help nature if you lack bees and such.
As plants get bigger, more blooms are ready at the same time to fertilize.

Hope you like Zucchini, you'll have your fill.

Ron

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Papa, I thought that if you had a small fruit it was already fertilized. I've had the problem of plenty of flowers and no zukes. I have had one or 2 shrivel but I have no idea why.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Ron.
Dave, I did some online research and that info is correct. I think it's pretty interesting. I'm growing Birdhouse gourds and I have tons of male flowers [flowers on long stems] and no females at the moment. I love this learning process!!! Everything is so interesting.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Wow! I always thought fruit was the result of fertilization. Live and learn. Thanks Papa.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

on squash and cukes that's how you tell the ladies from the gentlemen. the female flowers have a tiny swelling at the place where the flower attaches to the stem which would be the baby fruit once it gets fertilized. Male flowers do not have this. If the females dont get fertilized they do shrivel and fall off. sometimes newly fertilized fruits will shrivel and die due to weather or fungus or whatever.
Martha

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank goodness this doesn't happen to women!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.