New Garden - New To The Forum!

Ridgefield, WA

Greetings, Pacific Northwest Gardeners!

My husband and i recently purchased a home in the Portland/Vancouver area. As a new construction, the builders added only the most rudimentary "landscaping," leavening the sides and rear of the five acre property in a rough post-construction state. Little by little, we endeavor to transform the space into a gorgeous outdoor wonderland.

As a more-or-less fledgling gardener, i'm thrilled to have discovered the wealth of gardening information in even the most casual banter on this forum. I have much to learn, and there is much to absorb on these "pages."

A few initial queries:

1. Although this is not the best time of year to plant trees, i went ahead and sunk three dogwoods, each about six feet tall, into the mid-July ground. I've been assured that they'll be fine, assuming they're property watered. Is three gallons a day enough for a tree of that size?

2. Is anyone aware of any local gardening clubs that organize private garden tours? So far, i simply gawk from the roadside when i pass a gorgeous garden design.

3. With plant material being so very costly, we're planting slowly and strategically. Has anyone ever had success asking a local nursery for some kind of bulk discount? My particular fondness's are, but are not limited to:

Magnolia Trees
Pine Trees
Fruit/Fig/Nut Trees
Mexican Orange Blossom Bushes
Viburnum
Roses
Lilacs
Calla Lilies
Bearded Iris
Evergreen Clematis (the kind with the white flowers)
Ferns
Hostas
Lithodora
Hens and Chicks
Candytufts
Daisies
Creeping Rosemary
and more!

I look forward to any insights anyone here would care to share. Meanwhile, there's much to read, so i shall pour my second mug of coffee and get to it! :)

Warmest regards,

estreya

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 8:30 AM

Thumbnail by estreya
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Many nurseries put their trees/shrubs on sale in the fall. Vassey nursery in Puyallup, which has some of the lowest prices on trees anyway, does this every September or October. Fall is a great time to take advantage of these sales and also to plant while the ground is still warm & just before the rains start (lots less watering)

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

You might also want to be keeping an eye on the coop forum here at DG. There have been some fabulous buys recently.

Gwen

Ridgefield, WA

Thank you for your replies!

Herpst: I do plan to do another wave of tree plantings this coming autumn, and will watch for specials as you suggest. Meanwhile, is three gallons a day enough for the trees i just recently planted?

Gwendalou: Is the "coop forum" the traders area? I haven't explored that yet, but it does look promising. I've been watching Craigslist for plants, but they're few and far between, usually on the South side of the river, and gone by the time i read the listings! :)

Happy gardening all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.