Grand Bay

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

I finally drove over to this little Wildlife Management Area we have locally to check out the scenery. While it's obvious the drought took a heavy toll, there are still many beautiful things to see. I took some pics that I'd like to share (plants of course ;-). There are some times when I think I must live in the ugliest part of Georgia: flat, piney, barely any seasonal changes, etc...then I'll see something like this.

Thumbnail by kimcheebaby
Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Pretty little pitcher plant?

Thumbnail by kimcheebaby
Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Who knew pine could be beautiful

Thumbnail by kimcheebaby
Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

I would have stayed longer and gotten more shots, but my dog (who is normally pinging off the walls) started to show some signs that he was too hot: namely wanting to sit down and panting hard enough to produce foam. So I got him in the a/c asap, and he was out like a light on the way home. I think next time I'm going to bring water to spray him with and partially freeze his drinking water too.

Thumbnail by kimcheebaby
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Those are some good pictures of a native wildflowering meadow. I'm sure it was serene and refreshing to your eyes. It looks like what little rain fell there, the wildflower seeds took good advanage of it. It's good to get out and see nature in it's natural setting. Is that plant one that traps bugs in it's blossom well?

For your dog's sake, on your next outing, try taking a cooler filled with a large bag of ice. Cover the bag with a cloth and let your dog lay on it like Georgia's dog does during the games. Enjoyed the pictures!
Deborah

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, your timing was great. I needed a little loveliness. I have a love/hate relationship with the big pines. They're dangerous and messy, but they're also Georgia's "cathedral." Loved all your photos. Sheila

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the compliments! I got a few more shots, but those were my favorites. Surprisingly there were a few lily pads in full bloom. This area usually sees white and purple water lillies. There were just so many beautiful flowers. Yellow ones with bases that looked like little pine cones, plants with white round heads that looked like cotton balls floating on tall stalks, queen anne's lace, and tons of ferns.

Cordeledawg: Yes, these are the ones that trap the bugs in them and digest them for nutrients. They're sorta morbidly fascinating. Luckily for me, the rangers/keepers cleared a nice path to this large specimen so people could get an up-close view. Usually the area with the pitcher plants is quite marshy and off limits, but b/c of the drought it's all dry land now. I was quite surprised to see the pitchers still there, though there aren't as many as previous years and I saw a couple that seemed to be struggling in the heat. The flowers were a pleasant change from just swamp grass though. You should see it during winter. All along the walkway are barren trees with TONS (and I mean hundreds) of vultures. I don't know if it's a breeding or nesting site, but they're everywhere! I plan to get some shots this year. Oh, and thanks for the ice tip. I'll have to try that. I've got some large refreezable gel packs that I might bring along. Boo's so small (6 lbs.) that I can nestle him down into the cooler if need be...with the top off of course.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2006 4:38 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.