wisteria vines

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

anyone have some info on how to start them from seed and how long they will take to start growing after planting them?

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Noel,

They are soooo easy to start from seed, though you may have to wait
many years to see a bloom, if. You may also see a variance in color from the
original parent, but that's the fun of it, at least in my garden.

Just soak those suckers overnight and pot them up. Keep 'em moist, warm
if you can, and you'll be amazed at how fast they come up, provided you have
fresh seed.

Here is a site with some good FAQ's for you:

http://www.rippingale.com/wisfaq.html

Monon, IN

Hi, Noell.

If you want to experiment and have fun growing wisteria seeds, that's one thing, and that's fine.

But wisterias take considerable work to keep pruned and in control once they are maybe 3 or 4 years old, and it can possibly take 10 years or more for a wisteria from seed to show any blooms.

I personally have bought all my wisteria as clones from already-blooming plants. I personally just don't see the sense in having to take a lot of care of a vine that refuses to bloom year after year after year after year....

There is not even any guarantee that a cloned plant will bloom any time soon, but I believe the chances are much greater with a cloned plant than with growing one from seed.

Thanks for the link, Wuvie! I am going to have a look. Might learn something! That's just one small part of the fun of gardening---there is always plenty more to learn!

I just gave the site a quick read and found this about growing wisteria from seed:

"11) "This darn Wisteria is years old but I have never seen it flower!"

The most common complaint about Wisteria. Unfortunately there are still many nurseries that sell seedling Wisteria. Wisteria seedlings can take 10 years, 15 years or even longer to flower. There are many fine Wisteria cultivars that will flower in 3 years. When you buy a Wisteria for your garden make sure that it is a true to name cultivar that has been either grafted or grown from a cutting."

I had two wisteria vines years ago when I lived in another state. One was in full sun, the other got some shade during the day. But the one that got a bit of shade bloomed the third year after I planted it, while the one that got full sun went something like 14 years without a bloom, which was when I moved away from that house.

CJ

This message was edited Jul 17, 2006 12:05 PM

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I plan on keeping them in pots and then I will move them with me when I move... I plan on being in the same home forever! however I may just buy a few from cutting then!

Monon, IN

Well, they don't do too badly in pots. I have had several in pots for 2-3 years, and though they likely are very root-bound, they have done okay---have not outgrown the pots. I expect will take off when I finally plant them in the ground. Not ready to do that yet. It is a much better idea to get ones from cuttings or grafted ones.

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I have one that came up this past few days!! That is a good start!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.