HELP ME WITH MY WORM BIN

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

HELP - went to feed the worms dinner last night and found tons of tiny white flies all over the inside walls of the bin!! Whats the deal with that? Do I have to start over from scratch? I have the bin in the basement, and I don't want to have these guys all through the house. I don't understand. The bin was on the dry side if anything. Yikes

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Wish I knew what to tell you. The only thought I have is you might cut a piece of cardboard (if you don't have one already) the size of the bin and place it lightly on the top of what's composting in there. I have mine in my pantry that way, and it hasn't developed any bugs or smells. What kind of bin do you have? Google "cheap and easy worm bin" for some info. Maybe you put in more food than the worms could take care of? I'd put the whole thing in a garbage bag if it's not too big, take it out and let the flies fly away, then put it back in the basement. Good luck, and post what happens, please.

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you have fine mesh screen covering you vent holes ? Also, when ever I place new refuse on top of the worm bed, I always cover the entire bed with shredded newspaper. This really helps reduce the unwanted bugs and the worms will eat it too !! Hope this helps.

Looking for a great way to produce plant loving compost? http://paulgadawg.turnwill2.hop.clickbank.net

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

I carried the bin from the basement up to my driveway for a better look in the sunshine. Upon closer inspection with better light, there were thousands of tiny white bugs walking all over inside the bin. The bin is a large plastic bin with lid. I drilled holes through the walls, lid and bottom as I read to do. When my wife or I ever placed food in, we always covered the food over with the bedding/soil that was in there. We never overfed. Underfed if anything. I can't imagine what I did wrong.
Anyway, the closer you looked at these bugs, you would see even smaller ones (nymphs) walking all over. Guess they weren't a type of fly afterall. I put the bin outside overnight and checked on it this morning. Still tons of bugs on the walls. So.. :-( ...... sadly :-( I walked the bin to the compost pile and placed it gently upside down on top of the pile. It is a great compost pile and full of many layers of greens and browns. It will be a good home for the little guys. :-( Apparenlty better than I can give them inside.
:-(
what a bummer. They will be missed.

Thank you both

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Wormboy..don't give up start you another one..I had that problem once and it was because I kept it too wet..I have 2 going now and I have happy campers...Your flowers will thrive with their castings...YOU can do it..!! :o)))

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

You did the right thing, wormboy. But don't give up! You ain't living if you ain't learning!

Debary, FL

Hey there Buddy, I feel for ya. I never though I'd think about worms with the affection that I do. I have always kept them in the garden and in pots that were growing in, and know their value. But recently decided to feed the herd in the big coolers that I used to move to this new residence and read a little about the subject. I can only comment that on the one that I put all the cocoons in to see just how many I would have in a few months, didnt have a cover, so I used a piece of cardboard and that suppressed what looked like a beginning of a infestation like what you described., and then plastic from a potting soil bag after that. Well hell, cleanup the bins and you know where to find some more worms now. Time to round them up !! These new red worms I bought actually come to the surface when I rustle the shreded newspaper around , just under the top sphagnum peat layer for the laying mash I feed them. Well good luck!! and post on what happens next..Rannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I started blending their food now..seems like they eat more and produce more babies...I topcoat my bins with a sprinkle of cornmeal..When they come to the surface it's to wet for them..try letting it dry out some..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.