Pilchuck Glass School

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

It isn't quite mosaic or stained glass, but we went to the yearly Open House at the school. My understanding is,if you can afford the price, you submit an application with samples of your art work, it is reviewed and if accepted you are put on a list for your particular area of study, then the applicants in that area are picked in a lottery to fill the number of students allowed. 250 students each Summer; daily coffee consumption 5# (important in the NW); Summer Staff of 100; artists from 37 States and 37 Countries; 54 acre Campus; 69 buildings, and the cost of propane is $ 750 per DAY. Beautiful site in the midst of a Weyerhaeuser Tree Farm . Closed to the public except on one, or possibly two days a year, the Open House is a real treat. Was too entranced to take more than 3 pictures. (bad me)

This is the pond adjacent to the school. I'm told that in the early years 1973 and on) when the visitors left the students would go skinny-dipping there, Now there is a string of floating glass balls decorating the surface.

Thumbnail by balvenie
This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!