Why buy new if you can find a scrapyard for treasures

Moorhead, MN

I have had so much fun scrounging at our local scrap yard for pieces to use as garden art. With the all time high price being paid for iron, copper, brass etc. so much is hauled in every day and sold by the pound or ton. Some yards will let you wander through to find treasures but be prepared. Long pants and no sandals are a must also gloves. Expect to get dirty! but you will have fun! This spring I brought an old fire hydrant home and will make a doggy area in a corner of the yard, a couple of 3-4 foot tall iron wheels for vines to crawl up will go against the back fence. There is always a ton of rebar in all sizes- less than a 10th of new price at about 10cents a pound- copper pipes to make a trellis, a great 1900 huge shower head- will make a good water spray into a 1/2 plastic barrell sunk into the ground filled with round flat 2 " stone brought back from Lake Superior- a small recirculating pump found at a garage sale- total less than $12. A friend just picked up a sattelite dish 6" across in painted aluminum to use as a pond- the solid kind not mesh. Last year I found 85 feet of iron fence for less than $100 - sold that - can't keep everything LOL! Sometimes if you get to know the guys working they will even call you if they know you are looking for something specific. Have fun and take a soapy wet towel in a zip lock so you can clean up if needed!

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!