Speckled Butterbean

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Do any of you know where seed for Speckled Butterbeans can be obtained? I looked locally here in Houston and tried a couple of seed catalogs to no avail. Even had a relative to check the feed and seed stores in east Texas where I grew up and they couldn't find any either. I'd really like to have some for next springs planting. My grandmother always grew these and I love them. I can't believe they are so hard to find. Thanks to anyone who has any information.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

What kind do you want? The bush Dixie Speckled Butterpea, is available throught out the south. If you need to mailorder Willhite Seed. They also carry Jackson Wonder, which is larger and shaped like a standard baby lima. The large speckled pole lima they also sell as Christmas lima. (We old folks still call it the Calico lima. The pole baby lima, Florida Speckled Butterbean, is less widely available, but can be ordered from Southern Exposure, Vermont Bean Seed, Heirloom Seeds, Burpee etc.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

crow..... Southern Exposure Seed Co. offers Florida Speckled Butterbean also called Calico Pole Beans. They are buff colored with maroon speckles or stripes. Is this what you're searching for?
LarryD

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much for all the great sources. I knew someone on here would likely know. I'm not sure which named variety it is, but the bean is fairly large and cream or buff colored with maroon markings. Usually 3 to a pod and a pain to shell. When cooked, the bean is almost lavender colored with lavender/gray broth. From y'alls description, it sounds like I'm probably talking about the Calico lima or Christmas lima. Does that sound right to y'all? Growing up, I never heard it called anything other than speckled butterbean. Thanks again for the input.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, defintitely what we call "Speckled butterbean" and "Christmas bean" (or "Christmas lima"). (In my area of NC many folks won't dare eat a "lima" but they sure chow down on a "butterbean"!)

crowellli, I have a small handful of seeds, longtime original stock, I could send you if you like. (Sorry Folks, only have a small amount for this year; will offer more next year perhaps.)

Shoe.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Butterbeans bring back fond memories of home.......50+ years ago...

Thanks for the memories....
LarryD

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, Larry, I agree...memories, both past and present!

Butterbeans...growing them, picking them, sittin' on the porch shelling them (or in my earlier years, letting Granny shell them while we kids were catching lightning bugs in mason jars!), smelling them cooking in the kitchen, and later piggin' out on them with corn bread and fried chicken!

Have mercy! Ain't nuttin' better for ya!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I grow the Jackson Wonder, and all my family really loves them. You can get either a bush or pole variety of this bean.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

You all make these beans sound so good I want to try them, and I grew up hating lima beans. But then my mother wasn't the best cook so when she made them they always looked like mashed potatoes. Bleckkk!!!!

kanita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.