Coleus Chatters July 16-19

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

GOOD Morning to all! I hope everyone is having a pleasant morning. I'm so thrilled, I can finally post a few pics.....and if I ever figure this thing out...I'll be posting thousands of pics! LOL

Con't from http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/625677/#new

Hap....if you're watching....we miss you!

Thumbnail by Brinda
Pearl River, LA

Good morning Brinda.....loved the pic keep them coming......everyone else must be sleeping in.....I am babysitting my daughters dog (her Baby) for ten days and it is up at daylight for me.....so far he has showed who is boss here today and it is not me..... have a great Sunday... shirley

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Brinda keep those pictures coming..!!:o)))

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone!! I'm back from my joyspace =^) for a bit. Things have been soooo busy here over the last week...and I see busy in Coleusland too!

Joni, the pics are soo very gorgeous! I want a garden like yours. I love that you're using white to tie everything together. So spiffy, but also antique looking. Are you a designer? You're plantings are look perfect. Can't wait to see them in a few weeks w/ some growth.

Shirley, what kind of dog are you babysitting? They sure are set on their schedule, huh? Yesterday was my nephew's b-day party and he always rough houses and wrestles w/ Mark...so they were doing this as always...and our little Sheltie, Baxter decided that Mark was being attacked.....and ran up to my nephew and tried to latch on to him!! Everyone laughed. I didn't think it was very funny. I got the dog calmed down, and about a 1/2 hour later they were rough housing again...Baxter let out a little ruff, jumped up and tried to bite my 11 yr old nephew in the butt. I thought that at least his shorts were going to come down...now, that one was kinda funny. That was the end of the rough housing, because the 13" tall dog couldn't take it. Sheesh, I was so embarrassed.

The site is almost ready. Haven't had a lot of time to work on it. My sis is coming from TX, so it's house cleaning time now. I also had a rather large plant swap with a local lady on Friday...she was so generous. I can't even remember everything she gave me. Mark is just starting his 2 week vacation, so this is a great time to get those plants! She also sold plants for her local garden club that plants at the college. Gallon size $3! Smaller $1.50. I got a Lilac, a red Daylily. I can't even remember all that either. LOL. Can't wait to get them in the ground. I'll send pics once they are planted.

Good to see everyone! Mark is fixing the cord on the vacuum right now...the dog chewed it into two pieces...so I guess I better go run it now. Bummer.
Heather

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

That thar is a morning glory and Defiance, right Brinda? or is it scarlet wizard and how do you tell them apart?
Well I guess I left all the gloriosa lillis at Bren's SIL's house. I did however get 6 of these really pretty Gingers that hve edible flowers.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

brin...glad you figured out your camera . ...great photos!!!

tobee and hap we miss you!!!

health...no not a designer...(he he)....just anal...(grin)...can't believe your almost done with your website

sid....could i have your energy?? i thought you had a full time job also??

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

shirley...i was supposed to take care of my sis's dog for 5 days...well we have taken care of her b4 and she chewed everything....very unruly dog...; WELL...she came into our house and proceeded to attack my dogs...with my sis holding the leash....guess what?? i am not taking care of her dog........phew, she has to stay at a kennel....waaaaaahhhhh

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Sidney, I think that would be Scarlet Wizard....I have many that came in 6 packs. They do look a lot like Defiance, but unfortunately my Defiance from GHW never grew and now it is a big fat DEAD!!! LOL

Oh Joni.....I have NOT figured all this camera stuff out at all! It's driving me nutso!!! When I put the dvd in my puter.....it take forever for it to open. Maybe I have too many pics on the dvd. I don't know....and it takes me forever to copy each pic to MyPics. I'm talking I could run around the block a couple of times while it's copying! There just has to be a better way! I posted my problem over on the 'Computer Talk' Forum so hopefully someone will come along!!!!!!!! SOOOOOON!!!

Pearl River, LA

Sandy wanted to leave her dog in a kennel but the PP said no ....bring him here..... I am still mourning the loss of my cat and I am just not a dog person.....He likes everything his way...he is trained thanks to the old treat trick....very easily... He has grown so fast it is unbelievable...over 30 lbs now and he is just three months.... he will only let me sit at the computer...(not my favorite have coffee place) that has to be left for him when he wants it...PP has to sit in his big rocker only....if you are anywhere else....his world is not right and he has a tantrum until everyone shifts to there right place....it is unbelievable....once you are where he wants you all is right with his world and he plays happily or goes to sleep...oh yes it is ok for me to work around the house...but I better not lay down or sit in my favorite place....ha he is a ????????? he is much larger now...this pic is last visit......mixed breed golden lab ?????? shirley

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Shirley, he's a cutie! But it really sounds like he has a OCD! LOL I hope things get better. I have a friend taht has a Golden Retriever and that is the smartest dog I've ever seen. But of course, my friend worked for months and months....probably years with this dog. He's a great dog too.....and my youngest just loves him!

Good luck Shirley. My dogs don't like for ayone to come, or go, LOL. They attack folks heading for the door. Luckily they are 5#s & 7#s, so they don't really put forth a threat. It's just startling.
Back later It's getting cloudy and I have wash out.
Joni if I don't get back to my regular job soon I will loose my pention.
Sidney

Pearl River, LA

sticks did you have a software disc with your camera. ....I have a dell computer....hp printer.... kodak easy share camera .... and I use Jasc4 or Picasa picture program....Microsoft Internet Explorer and my server is Charter.... I installed soft ware that came with my camera and I have none of the problems you guys talk about....everything is fast and efficient. I unload directly into my computer. from the camera...I rarely have a disc made...I choose what pics I want to archive and burn them to a personnal disc myself and then I can exact copy them for my kids.....everything on this end is so simple I am now teaching everyone I know what I have taught myself . I give all the credit to Dell ..... and Charter...the Picasa program can be downloaded free....it is a google product and it sorts and arranges pics in alphabetical order. So it is important to label well...I just go by dates.... but I am getting so many now I need to be more specific.... I do not know about other computers. If you had a soft ware disc that should simplify things for you.... shirley

This message was edited Jul 16, 2006 1:59 PM

This message was edited Jul 16, 2006 2:04 PM

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

shirley...i think you meant brinda....she is having camera probs....

sid...are you taking vacation then?? (yeah right you are working harder than at your job...but at least my brain aint really messed up...i thought for sure you had a job...)

shirley...sorry about the dog prob....i used to be a cat person....i still have 20...but fell in love with my girlfriends corgis....for 5 yrs i lusted for her dogs...not i have my 2...they are herding dogs and herd my cats....will also not hurt a hair of head on my cats pretty heads....so i do understand the cat dog person...

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

here was my kids:

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones
Pearl River, LA

Oh wow yes I did mean Brinda sorry.... names confuse me.... dogs confuse me...... just kidding I love the Gus....but he is just not my cat Billy....Billy appeared at my door made his self at home and lived the life of a king for a year and a half and then vanished the same way he came he was just gone.....I hope he went back where he came from and is living happily... anything else is unthinkable.....shirley

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

shirley...doesn't it just break your heart they show up....act like they adopt you and then they are gone.....i have a couple that broke my heart like that....cept they were here for 4 -5 years and gone.....my khol just never came back...and he was here everyday, and i searched and search and nothing...

Pearl River, LA

yes it happened to me twice in the past year....Billy disapeared he begged to go out ....I begged him to stay...he begged some more kissed me and insisted on going out and that was the last time I saw him..... about three months later a little gray kitten so tiny he looked like a small rat was in my plant bed.... I did not see him and got him wet.....well he looked so pathetic that I just could not resist him....and in a matter of minutes both PP and me were hopping to give him the best of everything.... PP was buying nine lives for him ....dry cat food.....no way...he needs to get strong..... well when he started looking good and was growing by leaps and bounds he also disapeared...he had just started to show lots of love to us...and I do vow not to ever have another pet.... I will just help with the doggie... and be a good MM.. It has always been this way.... we live in the country and things happen....shirley

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yup...country living is hard on domesticated animals due to the wild ones....we rescue cats and one of the considerations we have to make when we move out to the farm 100 acres in the middle of nowhere....well, it was what are we going to do with our cats....they would be eaten.....thus the corgis....they are herders....we are training them to herd the cats....thus at the days end they round um up and we lock them up for the night....but then we have even found information about barn owls grabbing corgis....coyotes eating corgis etc....they will not have free reign....but hopefully we can all be safe and continue our cat rescue....

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Shirley, he sure is a cutie! Looks like a Yellow Lab to me. Lots & lots of energy if he's 3 months old. Take control and tell him "NO!" when he's being bad or barking or ruling the house. He's not a kitty and will drive you nutzzz!! If he doesn't listen to "NO!" clap your hands loudly to get his attention, it'll startle him a bit and make him snap-to. A dog that age doesn't know any rules yet. You can also give him a little smack on the rump or nose...and it certainly doesn't have to be hard. Just enough to get his attention. With a lot of puppies it's more the idea of it than the pain of it...say "NO!" when you do it...he'll get the point quick. I wouldn't let a puppy decide where I could and could not sit. Show him the rules of your house. Don't let him push you around now, especially if you're going to be babysitting him when he's 80 lbs. this winter!

After I have to correct my dogs I let them pout about it for a bit...maybe 10 or 15 minutes then I love on them so they don't think I hate them for what they did.

Pearl River, LA

I am sorry but when I am babysitting him this winter he will be in his own space with his own house....... here is an updated today pic.... how big will he get anyway....and this is his do not lay down lets go play message......cute huh...attacked while trying to snooze on a lazy Sunday..... But I will just have to love him anyway...he is very smart....tells you what he wants.... in a way anyone can understand.... shirley

Thumbnail by shirleyt

Okay here's what that hoppin rooster looks like today;
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

hes a lookin better!!!!

Here's what a tray of my cuttings looks like today. They are taking because I had to dead head em.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid ...you can tell that fast?? you must be a miracle worker!!!

Mine are ready for the garden in 7 to 10 days. Those I did over a week ago. Here's another two trays, 36 total. I'm taking about 100 coleus to a swap next week. All from cuttings.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Pearl River, LA

Good morning everyone....wow sugar the rooster is coming along great.... My tray of babies look great too.... I think they need a few more days before I put them in the garden....we got a great rain yesterday and everything is looking good today... sticks you doggies are sweet...herding cats??????? amazing...shirley

Are you movong soon Joni? Does this mean you will have whole new area to plant?
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning!!!

Oh Shirley, what a cutie he is! How old did you say he was? He looks like he's gonna be a big boy.

Sidney, your chicken sure looks better now. LOL And I didn't think there was hope for that chickie!

I'm proud to say that I downloaded picasa and now I have my pics on my puter! How easy was that? Sheesh!!!! It was driving me nutzzzz (as Heather would say) and I'm sure I wasted about 10 hours trying to figure all that stuff out. I'm on Xander duty this morning, so I'll try to share when I get home. I can tell you that I'm not pleased with this camera at all......the zoom feature leaves much to be desired. I thought it was so neat that I could sit at one end of the pool and zoom in on something 50 feet away. LOL That's a joke.....I can do it, but the pics are terrible if I do. Oh well...lots to learn about it anyway!

See you all soon!!!

LOL I just realized.....I beat tobee to the puter this morning! How unusual! LOL But then again....I've been up most of the night! Our neighbor called us at 1am to tell us that some drunk had come up our street doing about 70-80 mph, lost control and hit her husbands truck. I'm tellin ya....he sure did! LOL And when he hit the truck, the stupid idiot jumped out and ran. The police caught him about 1/2 mile away. When I got out there he was in the back of an ambulance and they had a huge 2 liter bottle of rum sitting on the top of his car. He was driving a little Neon and hit this 1 ton truck at a high rate of speed.....hard enough that it knocked the back-end of the truck up on the sidewalk. LOL Somehow he hit the truck on the drivers side....but head-on with his car, and his stupid airbags didn't even deploy! Ouch! Good thing he was drunk, otherwise he would probably be dead!

See you all soon!!! Don't stay out in the heat too long today....you might melt! LOL

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

The pic is so cute! It makes me want a puppy too!

Labs can get big, but I've seen small ones too. Males usually get bigger. It depends on a lot of things, how big his parents were, how active he is, if he's fixed, what he eats, etc. Most Labs I've seen fall between 70-100 lbs. Most dogs will reach their mature height by the time they are a year old, but continue to add brawn and grown internally for up to 2-3 years. Labs are well known for being highly energetic and intelligent, very traniable dogs! Yellow Labs are used as seeing eye dogs, even as young dogs. They are one of those dogs that NEEDS a job to do...or they can become unruly because they get bored and restless...they have too much energy and too much smarts to just sit there. Their puppy energy can last a good 3 years for some dogs. Once they outgrow or are trained out of their puppy craziness (LOL!) they are one of the best all around dogs you can have. They are very laid back and easy going, but love to have fun and hang out w/ their owners and just lay by their side. All of their life they will play fetch for hours on end, they love to run...and to retrieve...LOL! They also usually love water and swimming if introduced at a young age. They are definately a dog that you can have a LOT of fun with and that can be highly trained. They make great family dogs, lots of energy to keep up with the kids and not a mean bone in their body...even if the kids pull their ears off, as long as they are raised w/ the kids. Your DD (that's who the dog belongs to right?) picked a great breed!

We have 3 dogs, but my little furball is a Sheltie, he sticks to me like glue.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

OMgosh, Brin! I'm so sorry for your neighbors, but have to admit that I'm LOL!!

That rooster is looking quite spiffy!

Dawned on me I had better put clear coat on him. I still have to get lots done this next week month.
As for my job, Boilermaking is a never full time job. We go in repair an existing boiler and then we get laid off. Or should we be so lucky, we build a new one and get laid off.
I have got to get my new Resume` to be safety lady in the breeze asap.
Sidney

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

morning all!!!

it's been a long, hot, fun, busy weekend. actually not even a moment for the computer!

saturday morning i had to go teach that class and do the lecture for container gardening. so i had to leave very early and leave the watering to dh...(yikes!) we had a great turn out of approx 35-40 persons. got home and it was john's birthday, (the guy i work with) so it was time to get ready for bbq, cake and people. kinda a impromptu party. being the weather was in the 90's everyone and their mother's were calling about dropping by to dip in the pool. so it turned out to be a whole lot of people that didn't really know each other, but worked out well.

it's so funny we have all sorts of friends, from the health nuts....all organic no cigs, no alcohol no nothing...to the other extreme, the party animal..pass the booze and keep it coming, where's the grease and chips! what a crew! had two big vodkas and was on my butt!!!!! but i needed it!

anyway...yesterday was a repeat of saturday, so it was just party weekend. that is between watering 2x's a day in the heat. i had to go back over everything on saturday when i got home. dh does water, but he never cleans the plants or the area's around it which need to been done daily. it's just like when they straighten the kitchen and never wipe down the sink at the end! i didn't complain...because then, he'd probably not help at all.

this morning they say it's going to hit over 100....so i was out by 4 am did all the pots even though we did them last evening. actually, doing some of the stuff towards the end of the day has been saving me time in the mornings. i just got in and it's already close to 90 degrees!!!!!! this early.

gg....nope...i'm NOT sending you a bunny rabbit. once again they have been busy at work eating everything they can get their nasty teeth into!

shirley...cute cute puppy dog! i miss mine so much...but not the hair!
sticks..you have two cuties! and the pictures are just great!

heather..how cool the site is ALMOST ready! i'm so impressed with you.

sidney...ok..you dressed the chicken nice..now...where's he going?? NOT in the front yard..k????

brinda...sooooooo let's see MORE the pics!! MORE pics! MORE pics! MORE pics!

Thumbnail by tobee43
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

GM tobee! I love that pic! On the bottom? That's a coleus? What is it? I'm in love!!! LOL

Well....tobee let her hair down! Wooooohoooooo....you go girl! I do hope you enjoyed your weekend and had a blast, even though I know it's tons of work to have people over. It sure seems like this is party-central during the summer, everyone wanting to get in the pool. And boy do we have some of those 'extreme-pass the bottle' friends. Sometimes the morning after looks as if there were hundreds of people here instead of a mere 15. LOL We also have the extreme organic people too....and they just sit back with their mouths open. LOL

I'm working on pics.....I'll post soon. I'm just so upset with how long it's taking me to learn all this camera stuff. I begged DH to sit down and figure it out, but he had better things to do.....like watch NASCAR and all that good stuff! LOL I'm certainly not a good student.....I'm that 'instant gratification' type of person without patience! LOL But I'm getting there....some of the pics are very out of focus...Yuck.....but that's just the way it is. LOL I have learned that you shouldn't try to zoom in from 50' away...it just isn't good! LOLOL

tobee....our high today is supposed to be 106* and they're saying it should break records today and tomorrow. Ugh!!! I like it hot, but certainly not like this. I'm watering two and sometimes three times a day. The coleus in full sun really do their swooning act when the temps are this high. Poor lil babies! And with temps like this the pool isn't even refreshing. The water temp is over 90* and that's just not much fun when you're looking for a cool place to be. LOL

Tobeeeeeeee, Hoppy chick goes in the herb garden where he can influence the agrivating to grow here Thyme. I must bring some NC red clay back to plant thyme in. I grow it for Cock au Vin only.
GG where are you darlin??? We are missing you!!
Brinda at least you have that pretty pool for releaving that heat.
Oprah alert, Bras and getting the right fit is her topic of today. I will be watching.
Back to organizing life.
hugs to all
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh wow Sidney, thanks for the Opray alert! It airs here at 4pm and I'm in need of getting the right size! What did you tell me the name of your bra? I know I'm gonna look if I ever get up the nerve to go to the mall! (One of my most dreaded ventures....I just hate the mall)

Yeah....where is everyone? GG, Kell, Sue, Pati(we see you), Loretta? You all come out and play. We know where Heather is....she's working on her boy-toy space! LOL

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda, that's "jungle love" coleus. she's a soft gentle relaxing mood. i really did the relaxing, sedate mood in my personal gardens this year. tons of muted colors and quiet tones and textures for the "ummmmmmmmmmmm" look..hehehehe...get your buddha ready!

well, thank heavens these were "neat" and pick up after yourself kinda people. i just collected all the towels and threw them in the wash getting ready for the next group that we will over.

i so know what you mean about the pool temp. i'm the only one i know that adds cold water to my pool! my dh turns the heater on, i turn it off we fight about it all the time. i want to get COOLED off.....NOT take a bath. the hot tub we have the same problem. i want it at 100 and he wants it 103. i'm like i can't even get in the darn thing because it BURNS you to death!

the camera and downloading you'll get down. it's just anything new is difficult at first. before you know it, you'll be a mad mad picture pro! now one suggestion, which is somewhat difficult to get use to. don't use the lens to center the pic....look at the screen and center it that way. also...if you have a "flower" setting, it's usually good to keep it on that, since it's NOT like we take tons of pictures of people! LOL also, take some normal range pics first just to get use it then start with the zooming in. you'll have it in know time!

i'm having the biggest problems with the spv.....just doesn't seem to matter how much one waters them...but i knew better, i know just in normal conditions they need tons and tons of water so with this heat, they don't have a half a chance. shoot, i'm swooning this heat, so i can't imagine what those poor plants are feeling. we are supposed to have the heat for at least the next week. first it's the torrential rains....then the war of the bugs, along with the bunny and groundhog battles...what a summer it's been. enough for one to consider another hobby other than gardening!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

ok sidney...well if the old fellow is for thyme purposes, then so be it!! i also use thyme in my cock au vin and must have tons of it, so i supposed actually, he could be even considered somewhat important!

right you are..where is everyone! most likely just enjoying the summer's day. however, here it is way to hot to enjoy anything!

bra fits...ok, not MY favorite subject...that is for sure. i hate wearing them...so much to a point that i never did unless i absolutely HAD to. when i had my business of the children line of clothing...there were days that over the loud speaker it would be announced that the bank or some business person was coming for a visit and "sue needs to get her bra on!" we would hear: may i have everyone's attention please....everyone is to immediately stop what they are doing and go on the hunt !! we use to almost pee our pants laughing. well going on the hunt would be ok in itself, however, i always took them off and never knew quite where i left them. so everyone in every dept would have to stop what they were doing to look for my bra!!!!!!!! i'm not kidding! even the poor guys in shipping. (we did find it in shipping once or twice). apparently, the consensus was that i wasn't "properly" fitted and that's why i hated them so much...so finally, my vp of sales made me go for a fitting. i got the bra and it itched so badly...i hated it.....so i took that one off too! i will NEVER forget the new graphic designer...it was his first day and he went to the break room to get a drink out of the frig. we were all sitting at a table having our coffee...when he opened the frig door...there was my bra...he was so cute when he turned around and said...."should i even ask" and the entire room shouted simultaneously, "NO"!

suffice to say...i WILL not be watching oprah today!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ack....I just want to scream!!!! And I mean sreaaAAAAAAMMMMM! I've been trying for an hour to figure one more step out on that stupid camera. I finally downloaded most of the pics....but it wouldn't read all of them, I'm guessing because there were almost 300. So I finalized the disk (cuz that's what it said you had to do for the computer to read it) and downloaded them. Now it tells me that I can unfinalize the disk and use it for more pics! But guess what?????????????????????? I CAN'T!!! I give up! LOL I'll work on it more tomorrow! And I have a gorgeous brugmansia bloom that I wanted a pic of....waaaaa!

Yes, I can remove mine with out anyone even noticeing til I pull it out my right arm hole. I agree, but working with 99% male idgits, I have little choice.
;)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda...ok tell me what kinda camera this is please. it should have come with software to let you download the pictures. also...delete the one's you know are already downloaded. you may want to go directly to the company's website for trouble shooting or software updates. i just had to do that with mine.

sidney...i didn't mention that my vp of sales was a male...LOL..of course the kinda male that knew where i could get fitted for a bra. (like I would EVER know that myself...NOT in a trillion years!). but he did! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.