Fertilizing Cannas

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I've been reading this forum for about two weeks now and have seen some magnificent pictures of cannas that you folks have posted. Mine, however, are pitiful looking. They're too crowded, too small; they had the leafroller bug problem (although this forum gave me cure); and my seeds are duds.
So, before I can bring myself to point a camera at mine, could ya'll tell me what fertilizer I should use? I have no idea what kind of cannas they are except for the red ones called "The President" that I just bought today. Hurry before I kill it.

Thanks! Deborah

This message was edited Jul 16, 2006 3:36 AM

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i use peters vegtable fert and i use cow manure to paul

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Chicken manure works too. I have a bed that is several inches thick with it and my cannas in that bed are REALLY happy.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

I use alfalfa pellets

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll try all three! But where do I get the chickens?lol

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

I got 2 canna's from the UMW Roundup, compliments of BigcityAl.... and I put them in 5 gallon pots with all MG soil. They are going gangbusters and loving the Illinois sun. If I forget to water them, they don't seem to care. They are both five feet tall, and sending up new shoots. I am patiently waiting for some flowers, but they seem intent on making more leaves. The stalks now look like corn stalks with huge leaves. One day I will have flowers, but for now I am content with the huge leaves that set my house apart from everyone in the neighborhood. MG soil seems to work wonders for the Cannas.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Now after 27 years of pushing a pencil, I'm finally getting a chance to use a shovel. I'm totally gardening illiterate! What's MG soil? I'm sitting here racking my brain.

Do you plan on planting them in the ground or are you leaving them in the pots? I see you are from IL. Don't know if cannas can over-winter in the ground in your neck of the woods though.

Deborah

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Cord, MG stands for Mircale Grow.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh, duh, I'm a dummy! Thanks!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Texas Tea is good to paul

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

OK, "Tag ... I'm it" ... I am going to fall for this one. What is "Texas Tea" in regards to fertilizing canna plants? I just bought a bottle of compost tea at the nursery that you mix about 2 ounces per gallon.

Tammie in TX

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Girl, you're goin'a wish you'd never asked! LOL I don't even want to begin thinking how it's made. What an odor no doubt!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

texas tea is cow manure fill a 5 gallon bucket with water add 3 ponds of manure let set for a few days then start useing as the bucket goes down add more water QQ lol paul

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I feel sorry for anyone who has to smell that!!

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

I have the Canna's in 5Gal containers above ground, and plan on taking them into basement to overwinter with my peppers. Here's a picture.. about a week old

Thumbnail by mikekilhoffer
Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Paul, you've got the Texas Tea just right and wonders it does work! I however let mine DRY out for several days prior to using it simply because I don't want to smell it! UGH!!! lololol
Belinda

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

OK, mikekilhoffer... your note says these plants are "about a week old". How big were they a week ago? They are bigger than my 3 week ones. I have some manure and compost mix I bought.. will this work to make "Texas Tea"? I can mix it in the alley and leave it out there.

Tammie

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, I had to look back three times... but the "week old' comment pertains to the photo, not the age of the plant.
These plants are much older than that. My canna's are now beginning to bloom. But tonight, at 1AM upon coming home, My first canna bloom was out and upon lighter inspection.... there was a small green beetle eating the first blossom.. I moved the lighter closer to burn the offender, and upon killing the little beetle, I walked inside. Maybe they will be gone tomorrow, but I enjoyed killing the first bug to attack me. A week ago, the plant looked much the same. Canna's, as far as I have seen, being my first year in flowers, are not the first food of Jap beetles if there is a more promising food near. They have devastated my pretty Sweet potato planter that sits next to my cannas.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Everything I read about fertilizing Canna suggests a low nitrogen (e.g. 5-10-5), once the plants are established.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.