Northeast Indiana fit in here ??

Albion, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone - I'm mostly a lurker but when I found this forum decided maybe I should check in with others who may be neighbors. I browse many of the other forums and have learned so much but I think it would be good to chat with those who have similar weather/growing conditions as I do. Right now, I would love to be out playing in the dirt, but it is so blasted hot I end up taking more breaks than getting any work done. How do the rest of you tend to your flowers and gardens and still survive the heat?? I casually mentioned to DH I was going to start 3rd shift in the yard if he would be so kind as to hold the lantern for me. :~) If I'm in the right forum, I look forward to chatting with all of you -- sharing info, learning new garden ideas.

Thanks all,
Carol

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Carol, if this is where you feel you fit in then you are more than welcome. We don't really have boundries and all are welcome.

I wear wet towels around my neck sometimes when it is really hot outside. Soak one in really cold water and wring it out pretty well. Then just drape it over your neck and shoulders. I also made some homemade water crystal tubes using the water absorbing crystals and headbands. Cut a very small hole in the band and add about 2 Tsp. of the bead. Sew or tape the hole shut and soak in ice water before putting it on your forehead or around your neck.

Carry insulated containers of water with you at all times. Don't stay outside very long at a time. Heat stroke is something the body seldom totally recovers from and you are then more sensitive to heat the rest of your life.

Hope this has helped you.

Belleville, IL(Zone 6a)

HI Carol
I do as much as I can early in the morning. If I work out in the heat I do it no longer than about an Hr. at a time. I come in the air conditioning and eat a popcicle or frozen lemonade. That helps cool me off. then I get a bottle of water and start again. I'm going to try the headband with the water crystal. Thanks leaflady. Stay cool and drink plenty of water.
diana

Albion, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Leaflady and Diana; I guess that's pretty much all anyone can do. Just take lots of breaks and drink lots of water. I'm getting ready to go out now and work until late morning (if I can stand it). That'll be it until late evening if it cools down any !

Have a great day.
Carol

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

why sure why not.?? welcome join in any time..

Indianapolis, IN

I'm central Indiana. And don't worry---after I joined, I looked up a map of what the "Central Midwest" is. Indy's in it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.