Some of my hardies that are in bloom.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

This is a Dunmoyer that I got from NCplantsman this is my very first bloom with one more about ready to open.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

This is my deep burgundy, this is the second year for this one.

Oohs forgot the picture. Check next post.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2006 12:20 PM

Here it is.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

This is another on the second year. It is a dark pink.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

WOW Linda, they sure look pretty! When I was back East at my Moms I saw a few of these and they were so big and bold and beautiful. I bought a plant last year and it didn't even come back this year. I wonder if they need the cold winters.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8b)

Hi Linda,
Those red ones are gorgeous and loads with flowers! The pink one isn't bad either ;)

Mine had two open blooms this morning. I took some pics of some new ones too. Will post them soon.

Ray

On my dunmoyer plant today I have 2 opened.

I got a Blue River White off Ebay about 2 months ago and now I have the first bloom on it. I will take a picture after while and post it.

Then 2 years ago there was a hardy hibiscus coop that everyone on here will remember, 2 of those are blooming like crazy. What I thought they were thay have turned out not to be. They are the ones I guess that grows wild in Flor. and Tx. But they are blooming and the flowers are pretty, I will post a picture of them after while as well.

Here is a picture of my Blue River White.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

This is a picture of my dunmoyer the second plant is starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

It looks like there may be another one opening up tomorrow.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Here are the ones that I mentioned that was gotten from the coop that grow wild in Florida and Texas, anyway that is what I have read. They do make a pretty flower but I don't think the flower gets as big as the other hardys.

I think I should have a bloom on the Kopper King tomorrow, it has been blooming for about 2 weeks now, if there is one I will take of picture and share with you all.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous Blue River White. Where did you find yours at? I am wanting to add some white hibiscus to my garden and yours is truly a gem!
Happy Gardening,
Belinda

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

2pugdogs

Thanks for the tour!! You certainly have a nice selection.

Judy

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Those are beautiful!!! I think I need some more.

TexasGardenMom I got mine off EBay, about 2 or 3 months ago. Here is a web page from the same person that I got mine from. You might check her out, it goes off in 4 hours. I didn't check to see if she had any more. She has 5 listed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-White-Hardy-Hibiscus-Big-Brilliant_W0QQitemZ220007245535QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20529QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For some reason the link isn't working right, I have tried 3 times. But the seller is dirtlady1126

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 4:20 PM

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 4:22 PM

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 4:23 PM

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh they are so beautiful. I am finally getting some of the hardies. I got some seedling on e-bay and the first one bloomed today. White with a hint of pink. I also got a pot of the burgundy at Lowes. It was called Luna but all of the others were white with pink. I snagged the only pot of burgundy. It has 4 plants in it so I am going to divide it up

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for the Ebay info ~ ~ ~ I am checking into it right now. Keep posting those pretty pics! We all enjoy them!
Belinda

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

"White Chiffon"

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

'Blushing Bride'

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

'Aphrodite'

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

The "White Chiffon" is gorgeous!

kbaumle yours are beautiful I really like the White Chiffon, is it a hardy or a tropical?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

It's hardy! I just got it for half price last week and it's not planted yet. Still trying to decide where the best place is!

I will have to have one of them kbaumle, when I get back from my little vacation I will start to look for one.

I googled for it, is it a Rose of Sharon?

I found one at Nature Hills for a 3.5 size pot for $11.95 and then for a gal. size $23.95. Here is the picture of it. They are saying it is a Rose of Sharon. How big are your flowers?

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine was a steal at $4.50 in a gallon pot. Yes, Rose of Sharon, or Hibiscus syriacus, or Althaea syriacus. The flowers are about four inches in diameter.

What a steal. I would like to find one of them.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8b)

Here is my Dunmoyer bloom. Another plant will have some more flowers open tomorrow morning.
See the bumble bee inside?

This message was edited Jul 20, 2006 8:55 PM

Thumbnail by NCplantsman
Raleigh, NC(Zone 8b)

Nice Blue River white Linda!
I had one with 5 open flowers this morning. Took this shot with a hardy red in the background.

Thumbnail by NCplantsman
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I bought this one on eBay also, my first bloom. It looks like it'll have several others.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh I would LOVE to have a red one like that.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8b)

Nice red one Big Red.
I have some like those too.

Thumbnail by NCplantsman
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Are the red ones like that hardy to zone 5?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8b)

Hi kbaumle,

The red hibiscus I posted is a hybrid of many I have available. They are hybrids I made from parents which are hardy in both zones 5 and 6. I’m thinking it would be hardy in zone 5 if you would plant it with a southern exposure and a good layer of mulch in the winter. Protecting plants with a windbreak from the cold north winds is also a very effective way to help plants survive the winter. Do you get snow most of the winter where you live? If so that greatly increases your chance of winter survival. Snow can have an insulating value similar to R5 fiberglass insulation. The bloom size is over 6” wide and it’s a show stopper.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, we get snow, unless it's an unusually warm winter, and even then we still get snow, just not as often or as much.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

NCplantsman,

Thanks, they sure are one beautiful flower, aren't they? I'm not really big into flowers (mostly veggies) but these are just real show stoppers. ☺

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

OMG, I'm blown away by my 'Plum Crazy.' The blooms are HUGE!!! (8½ inches across!)

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

With the ruler...

Thumbnail by kbaumle

kbaumle looks like it is closer to 9 inches. It is beautiful and the color is to die for. Plum Crazy is a nice Hibiscus to have.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.