Hay/Grain feed order

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I guess most or all of you know this, but I didn't, and figured for those that didn't know, it's interesting.

My trainer told me she feeds her horses hay first, waits a little, then feeds grain. She said the hay settles in their tummies & slows down how fast the grain goes through their system, and helps them retain more of the nutrition in the grain.

I asked another friend, and she said, "yeah, I know you're supposed to do that, but I don't."

Chewie is on pasture all day, so I'm not super serious about waiting after hay, but I do see that he eats 80% of his hay before I put out the grain. Can't tell yet if it's making a difference, but I don't see how it couldn't. It makes sense, and I don't think it's doing any harm - he's still eating & pooping. :)

Have a horsey day! Everybody that can ride, please do! Chewie had chiropractic work done Thursday, and vet ordered three to four days off. We're on day-two off, and I'm bored!!! I wanna ride!!!!!

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!