Water canna or not?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

How do you tell a water canna from a canna that doesn't like wet feet? I only have two colors ( one orange/red, all others are yellow with red specks). I want to transplant some to a bog at my fishing pond and would like to know how far down the water's edge I can go. The pond is extremely low with this drought. I don't want to drown them when the water level returns. I'll try to post a picture of mine later. Until then, can someone post a picture of their water cannas?

Thanks, Deborah

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

I know that the Bengal Tiger(Pretoria) and the Tropicana like wet feet. I would say to the area where the big leaves start is as deep as I would dare in the water, anything more I fear would rot the leaves, the prettiest part. There are also regular water canna that the Floridians grow, but I dont know about our zones.....google water canna .....9 and 10 maybe....I sure don't want anything I have to winterize inside

..These pots of Bengals are just setting at the water's edge in maybe 3 inches water....... my ponds are wayyyyy down too. Like you, who knows where they can plant without knowing the water level normally...do you think we will ever see normal again? or resonably priced gas........

Jackie, from drought stricken far southern OK northern Texas

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

The cannas in your pictures are exactly where I'd like mine to grow. I planted some I thought would be close to the water's edge and the next day the water had dried up about five feet out. I felt stupid dragging my water hose down to the pond. I know my neighbors think I'm crazy watering my pond!

Thanks for posting. I'll google-up some water canna resources and see if I can find some fairly priced.
Deborah

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Girl, I am using our water wells to fill my ponds and then we pump water from the ponds into a sprinkling system for the yard and plants.

I have been moving water lilies in and out of ponds trying to save them..they weren't in pots either......I have been digging and lugging

2 of my 4 ponds went almost completely dry so I moved them to the others....actually only 1 other.. the 1 other has big fish that woller in the mud and uproot the water plants so I dont put in the lilies....

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Deb, I sympathise with the drought issues, used to have them frequently in Aus we used to get pretty creative when the water restrictions started. Tubs, and baths make great oasis's with either water or bog style planting. I found that the cannas dont like being covere by water if they don't have leaves, this becomes an issue if you get frost. I have found that building a bogg is the most user friendly conditions for cannas, and in the warmer months if I put a potted canna into the pond, I keep the base of the canna above the water and submerge all of the roots. I have done that to pretty much any canna I wanted to put on display, in my pond, I dont as yet know about the very new hybrids havnt experimented yet. Though they do love the bog. An easy group of Aquatic cannas to look up are the Longwood Cannas, and a Florida native called Flaccida. I have one of this group a tall pink with grey green leaves and I have it in a bog situation. When I bought it, it was sold as a minature, not now, loved the bog conditions and just kept growing its big bold and about 4". Rita.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.