Broccoli and hot weather

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

My potatoes are doing great. Now that I use the hot hats, I finally have zucchini plants. But I can't grow broccoli to save my soul. My first broccoli plants that I transplanted got swarmed over by flea beetles. So I planted seed in a different patch. Over two dozen sprouts popped up, and now they've all been killed by flea beetles. I grew several sprouts in a peat pellet greenhouse. They're now on a paper plate with a hot hat over them on my picnic table. They are NOT being eaten by flea beetles, but now they're wilting.

Is it the heat? The season? My black thumb? Broccoli's one of my favorite vegetables, too.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Tis the season. Broccoli does best as a spring/fall crop. This means try to put out transplants asap in the spring. As a bonus you will find there are less pests then too. If you do have flea beetle trouble cover your transplants with row cover (Reemay) as soon as you plant them out.

Meanwhile - do you have a farmer's market nearby?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Yeah, it got up to 101 today. Not good for little seedlings or any other living thing for that matter.

Not to get political, but Al Gore chose an excellent time to publish An Inconvenient Truth. It's harder to argue against global warming when you're sweltering in record heat. : )

My potatoes are doing well. I hilled them a bit more today. And the zucchini, now that they're protected, are growing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.