Small backyard tree in full sun

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

I recently posted regarding a Vitex tree but I would like recommendations for a tree(s) to put in my back yard in Lincoln CA (Zone 9). The soil is hard clay and rocks with poor drainage! This tree will be in full western sun. I already have two Crepe Myrtle 'Zuni and they do well of course but would like to plant something different between them. The soil in this area is just about as bad as it gets and it's hard to find plants that will grow well.

Since the back yard is not that deep I would like a tree(s) that grows less than 15-20 feet high and wide. I want them to require little care, moderate growth rate, not subject to diseases or pests, no litter, no volunteers, take full western sun, look interesting and beautiful and maybe be umbrella shaped. In other words a perfect tree. I've considered the Chinese elm but can't find a cultivar of this size.

Am I dreaming in trying to find such a tree?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

An Oklahoma Redbud (Cercis reniformis 'Oklahoma')would be great with your Crape Myrtles because it blooms in the spring. Unlike the regular Cercis canadensis, which gets nasty looking when summer heat hits, Oklahoma has thick shiny leaves that look great. The bonus is that it takes the same care as the Crape Myrtles! I have nasty clay here too, so I dig a decent hole, amend all the soil I took out, then plant the Redbud on a mound so the crown is above the wet winter soil. Great tree, probably just the size you want too.

K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.