Pooch's Dahlia Photos: Yellows and Oranges

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I only have one! But it is one of my favorites I've been patiently waiting for:
SEATTLE! It has a funny wide center, but the colors are as I hoped.

Mid July is early for blooming for me, so I am happy.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Way to go Pooch, your photo is nice! Mine haven't been good with Seattle for some reason.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, finally, Annie.
Way to go.
Now I get to see yours, LOL
Love that 'Seattle'. Need to get that one next year.

Al,
it is because you are from the NW, LOL
Us NW guys support our 'Seattle', LOL

Delhi, IA

Isn't it a rich color combination!!! Good for you!! Can't wait for more.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Oooh...I planted that one this year and I'm glad to see it's so nice! I can't wait to see more of your pictures! :0)

Chicago, IL

Pretty, Pooch. :-)

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Congrats Annie....She's a beauty

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

POOC,
GREAT!! Soooo ummm, errrrrr........Seattle like!! lol.

I hope I am the first to come begging for this one!! :), if NOT, please start the list with MY NAME at the TOP!! heheheh

Best;
bluelytes

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Everyone is posting such pretty pics of their dahlias. I only have one blooming - my mini baby bunting. I don't even have buds on the rest of them. When can I hope for some blooms????? Should I fertilize them with anything? They aren't even that big.

Gwen

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Gwendalou, the heat and sun we are anticipating for the next week will be just the tonic the dahlias have been waiting for to thrive. I imagine in Langley, you are cooled by the water, as I am cooled by the Cascades while Seattle basks. We will have our dahlia days of blooms- the big show begins in August.

Meanwhile, what have you used for fertilizer?

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I was hoping that last hot spell we had would do something. Plus, we had some outstanding warm weather in May that went on for at least 2 weeks.

I've used nothing for fertilizer. The planting instructions I got from Swan Island sort of indicated they didn't need a lot of fertilizer. So I just plopped them into the ground.

Last week I was starting to get worried so I did 'feed' them with some compost tea I bought at a nearby nursery. I think it's pretty weak tho. And they didn't get a whole lot each as I only got the gallon size and had to make it cover a lot of dahlias.

What do you suggest?

Gwen

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

POOC,
Oh?? Where and when re: show??

Best;
blue

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Blue, I think she means that August is when the dahlias in our area(s) start putting on their big show for us in our own gardens.

Altho I am looking for someplace a little closer than Swan Island to go look/order dahlias this year. Unless mine don't ever bloom, in which case I'll give up on dahlias!

Blue, what was the name of that dahlia you gave me Saturday again?

Gwen

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, the big show begins in August- meaning in our yards and gardens. Although there will be plenty of dahlia shows around too. Blue you have to go to the Puyallup Fair and see Connell's display. It's a real mind blower. I hope they do it this year, it's almost an institution among the floral displays there.

I don't have a new one but Seattle has opened much more fully and is even prettier I think. It's one of my alltime favorites so I indulge a double posting.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 7:03 PM

Thumbnail by Poochella
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Deleted because I found what I was looking for. Thanks.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2006 11:07 PM

Delhi, IA

Come on Poochella, feed those kids and show us more. It has been in the low 90's here for almost a week. I haven't watered anybody 'cause we keep getting our prescribed inch of rain or a little more a week. Removed the hollyhocks yesterday. Had 2 skid loader buckets of "junk" to haul off. 95 degrees. Then the baby beagle got lost in my big bed. Actually must have laid down and fell asleep. We spent an hour and a half hunting for him. Hadn't even had him 24 hours so had no idea where he would head. DH was frantic but before he suggested searching the cornfield I said no cornfield hunt!! Guess if you were 8" tall a 30 x 50 perennial bedof palnts over 4 foot tall would seem like a real jungle. Anyway the new Maurer baby came bobbing out when I started loading hollyhocks so all is well in Maurerville.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ah, a baby beagle!
We had one when I was a kid and what a riot he was.
He sounds cute sleeping away life among your flowers.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh a puppy! 8 inches tall! I am in severe need of a new dog but just too busy for a puppy right now. Let's just have you sneak in a photo of the little guy, Jam! Dahlias or no dahlias, I want to see him!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, me too. I want to see that cute guy.
Oh, Annie, just think of what a puppy would do to your dahlia bed, LOL
The stalks would be on the ground all over, LOL LOL

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I am waiting for the current visiting black bear to get in my garden. He's already taken two bird feeders down two different nights, worked over the blueberries quite nicely, but is staying away from the dahlias thank Heaven! And where was my guard dog? Sleeping.

Carol, I've had to teach 4 different dogs the command OUT of the garden and they were all good students for the most part. Mine is the worst offender choosing to sleep between stalks rather than on the wider pathways.

I have two orange ones coming in the next days to a week. They don't seem to understand the word HURRY.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

It is cooler to sleep between the rows, don't you know that, LOL
But am looking forward to more of your show too.
Is to get to 101 degrees this weekend here! Oh, my, that is hot!

Delhi, IA

Here is baby Maurer. 2 months, 9 pounds.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

Dean decided he wanted something for Father's day. We lost or soon to be 5 year old beagle house dog in early May to a ruptured spleen. It was our first ever house dog and we were so attached.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Delhi, IA

He doesn't have a name yet. That's the owner's decision. Those eyes could get most anything couldn't they!!

Anyway, he is not a house dog______so far, anyway.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

He's adorable!

Gwen

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I think his name is "Come to Iowa and Steal Me" LOL

He is just so cute! Smaller than his toy! Look at his tail, let alone that face! What do you mean " not a house dog?" I'd make him a housedog in about ten seconds and a pillow anchor the first night.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh my, what a cutie he is.
Yes, he is a keeper tho. Too bad he isn't a housedog tho.
He will be a digger tho in your gardens. Beagles love to dig. I do remember that from my Mom always complaining about him digging, LOL

Delhi, IA

The decision was made last night. The name is Spike.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL Spike- like the former patrolman at GWeb! Why did you choose that name Jam?

Here's my second to bloom: Contessa 3 ft Waterlily and not a very good specimen having been eaten by something! I was suprised to look over late afternoon and see such color. This a.m. while watering that very plant it was not open at all!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Mr. Slobbers was my vote.

Nice Pooch, I don't have a red waterlily so I'll be in the market for one next year.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Contessa is a really rich, intense red orange Al. But I have Tartahi Ruby and Moray Susan both red waterlilies 'in the queue' as they say. Taratahi Ruby will be first to bloom, still a way off. You'll see it right here under a heading of "Reds" if all goes well.....

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Come on Annie, start doing the dahlia dance. We want to see more!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

They are all sucking up water as fast as I can deliver it Willow! I'm encouraging them all to hurry it up. It was a hair away from 100 here today and both plants and water-bearer are wilting and parched.

I'm sorry to say my next bloom to open will be Seattle again! I have one in a pot and two in ground. Hawaii is trying to put on some color but far from blooming. KKKKatie is coming along too! So exciting : )

Chicago, IL

Lovely, Pooch. And the dogs are adorable.

Mine are coming up one by one. I had a glimpse of 'Just Peachy' this evening. Will go check it out first thing tomorrow.

I thought I had lost 'Camano Pet' last December. Hah! He is blooming now. If he is kind enough to give me good tubers, you are at the top of my list for one.

BTW, 'Eastern Echo' turned out to be a lavender/white speckled Dahlia. :-) I have no luck with 'Eastern Echo', apparently. I like the speckled one, though. Thanks.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Cute little beagle, I think that would be a fun kind of dog to have. We have had golden retrievers or labs but I have wanted to try a beagle. Each of our daughters has gotten puppies; one a Weimaraner and the other a Pug. I like the pug, she is so cute and such a personality. The Weimaraner is a beautiful dog but just too big and busy.

Jam, there are Maurers in the Mt. Angel area, are you related to any?

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Delhi, IA

No relation that I know of. Great photo Lenjo.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I love that Pug photo too Lenjo. People just go nuts about those dogs! They are all loveable to me, except for the very menacing mini pinscher I met at work this week, GEEZ- talk about dominant. I looked it in the eye for about a nanosecond and he was ready to take my head off! All 6 lbs of him! I was on HIS couch, very bad.

Flower number four: I can't help it, it's my favorite! A bit more bright yellow than its cousin in the pot on the deck. Perhaps that will change.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

New cactus for me: Nicole C It's a short 2.5 ft plant with a pale orange bloom about 3 inches across. Matches some achillea I have perfectly.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

The label faded on this potted one but with the slight pink showing, I'm thinking it's one of two Robinhoods I have. The other choice would be Jomanda but that is more pure orange. 3.5 ft tall in the pot and the bloom's about 3.5 " across.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2006 7:07 PM

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Karma Ventura already slightly more open than this, but I love the looks of the bud LOL!

Open, open, open!

Thumbnail by Poochella

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.