White cannas burn?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

OK y'all, if this is silly just say so, I'll be relieved. I was wondering if anyone in a really hot dry climate (fla and ca do not count) has grown a white canna and how it did? Seems to me the flower would burn up here unless it got quite a lot of shade which might lend to less flowering so what would be the point, right? Like I said, this could be totally off base, I just saw a huge tropical white water lily at a friends that we both would have thought would burn, but it didn't. Would love to hear from someone who has or knows someone who has grown them in a similar climate.

Thanks,
Lynn

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Texas counts and I am curious too. Sure would like to have some, but shade is at a premium here.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

LOL Jackie, they're pretty aren't they, it be good to break up the color.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

i feel your pain jackie. a plant has to be drop dead gorgeous to get my little bit of shade. i think that's why i've learned to appreciate the cannas so much.....blistering sun and they don't think anything of it. gotta love that! the white blooming canna is on the top of my list of must haves. i know there are a couple of varieties that are absolutely beautiful. if anyone can share info on them (or wants to trade) it would be great!

I have lots of canna that dearly love the heat, if I supplement with water at the roots...I read that the white canna and the Stuttgart prefer the shade.........I have been growing anything that needs a bit of shade in large pots under oak trees.......it is still so hot they fry without a lot of attention...
I want the Stuttgart really bad so I am seaching for a place with access to water in the shade. It is so expensive I can't afford to make a mistake. I think sticking it out under a Texas oak would be an injustice..maybe on the patio, in big mexican glazed pots. I want the stuttgart , bad........and maybe an Ermine white.......

Thumbnail by jackieshar
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow! Now that is a picture of cannas. I promise if I ever get my hands on some Stuttgart or other whites, I will be happy to share when I have them growing well. I really think the place at the end of my patio will be perfect because it is shaded but very bright. I will update if and when I get some and grow them. Then we will all know how they do in West Texas heat. sorry to say I am worthless for information right now. Just getting started in these plants. It is exciting to think maybe in a year or two I will have things to trade with everyone. Now, to sit back and keep my mouth shut and enjoy everyones successes.

Tammie

me too on the worthless!!!!......Too hot! My Texas blonde brain is fried!

Those pictured are King Red Humbert and Red Dazzler ...In the direct sun around the edges of what's left of one of my ponds......... they have been there about 10 years . I did add some wet peat to the soil when I planted them, I think that helps hold moisture near the roots during this awful drought.........I keep dividing and moving and sharing and they just smile and continue doing great.
Pictured is my Bengal Tigers I have them in pots setting in about three inches of water in what is left of one of my ponds

Another one I am dyng to own is the Black Tropicana, but it is soooooooooo expensive

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nice display Jackie. It's nice to see I'm not the only one with this question, but a little sad to see there isn't someone with some experience, Next spring I will just have to order me one.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i have a few white cannas and they do ok here paul

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

I too would love to try the Stuttgart variety, however shade around here is literally priceless, therefore saved for the semi-tropicals that I attempt to grow. lol If anyone tries any of the white cannas, do let us know how they do. I am seriously considering splurging in the Spring. Welcome to Tammie, who like myself is sitting back and learning each/every day on this great website of knowledge. I appreciate the hard work everyone puts into gardening. It is nice to see that others have tremendous passion for plants.
Happy Gardening,
Belinda

Thumbnail by TexasGardenMom

My red hibiscus like that is blooming now too.Texas Star? I was fortunate enough to get a white texas star, but I haven't seen it bloom yet.

Thumbnail by jackieshar
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Jackie, I bought a canna at a nursery called Black Canna from Australia; is that the one you are looking for?

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I planted out several of the white cannas, Confetti, cream with pink spots, Ermine and Snow Dragon, all are creams. Our sun exposure is pretty high in San Antonio thats why i build bog gardens, They can be made with so little cost and such an easy way to produce lush cannas, Cannas come from wet, hot humid areas of the world. Cannas don't root deeply they are pretty superficial, no tap root, so you can plant them in old tubs, kids swimming pools anything that holds water and dirt. This is confetti at 100. for weeks on end. It can take the heat just as long as its roots can pump up the water, its sitting in a swamp.

Thumbnail by rita_sturzbeche
West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

my white cannas did get a little 'burn' look to them when we had a week with out rain. one of my whites just rebloomed today :)

Thumbnail by MrEli
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

That confetti is 'adorable'. I will have to put it on my list of "must haves" for the future. How tall does it grow?

Tammie

I never knew there were white flowered cannas. Only Stuttgart with variegated white leaves.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

The confetti is a medium about 3' the other similar to it is Snow Candy. http://www.karcheskycanna.com/

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

MrEli, do know what variety of canna you have. it is gorgeous. i love the color of both flower and foliage.

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

ashleykelly, here it is in full bloom, the bloom is too heavy so im holding it up. I (I)THINK(/I) it is Canna "Ermine". I have 3 white cannas, all the same hieght right now, and I was so excited to get them in once I recieved them that I forgot which one was which. Thats my best guess. I got it from Alice so maybe she could identify it better then me. I love the yellow center, its hard to see with the sun bleaching it out in the photo, but its a very prominent part of the flower.

Thumbnail by MrEli
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

gorgeous! all the colors you have with the sweet potato vine look great! i looked at all the white varieties alice has...too hard to decide on just one! which do you think is the truest white?

MrEli,

Do you start yours inside in the Spring?

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

ashleykelly, as far as which on is the truest... hmmm, i would have too see all of the whites in person, pictures, most of the time, dont do justice.

and Twin Lakes, yes i started mine indoors in early march, besides the ones i got from alice.

Ok gang........I have the Stuttgarts in a large pot on the shaded patio....they are taking the 33 days of 100 or more weather in stride...I water them well. My plan is to take them into the house this winter...I have a really large expanse of eastern facing windows for light........Anybody else keeping them wintered inside?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I have Ermine, bought it this year. Haven't seen any bloom action yet, but I am a little concerned as it is planted in full and brutal houston sun.
Mr. Eli, those are gorgeous!
I chose to plant my cannas in part sun, and they haven't flowered for me. I planted them for the foliage anyway, so no biggie. Now I have one in my holding section that is temporarily potted and located in full sun which has been blooming off and on since June. IME, they need more sun that I give them.

Wow, vossner

My Stuttgart is in part shade here in Iowa and still burning up; don't understand that but I am about ready to turn it into a house plant. Like you, I don't really care if it blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.