lawn soil

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

To the right of this row of pines trees begins our yard. Well, all the way to the edge of the branches the ground is rock hard. Very little grass grows compared to the rest of yard. You can see a what I call an "outline" of the trees in the yard. It looks like the grass is dying. The roots fo the trees are coming to the surface also. Any advice as to what to do would be appreciated. Sorry the pic isn't better. It doesn't show the problem very well. It is actually worse than what the pic shows.I forgot I even had this one.
Thanks again,
Dawn

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I would use dolomite lime to neutralize the soil and use a mulching blade with organic fertilizer. Also I would airate the soil often followed with organic fertilizer. (Milorganite, old dry composted cow, even fish emulsion (spring only).

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree with soferdig , but I would increse the natural area by doubble ,maybe add azelias in the area.Looks as if you have enough lawn.Mike

This message was edited Jul 15, 2006 4:21 PM

Peoria, IL

The problem with the lime, although good for the grass, it won't be very good for the trees. I agree with mquiq77 - give the trees a larger pine needle mulch bed and then plant things in the mulch bed that like pine trees... azelias are one, hostas and ferns do well in the pine tree areas also.

It generally better to work with the conditions that you have (nice pine trees) than work against the condition (by trying to get grass to grow in acidic soil).

Focus on growing grass - outside the drip line of the trees...

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Will this condition get worse? I have pine tree roots that are sticking out of the ground ever bit of 3 inches and are prolly 1 and 2" in diameter.

Peoria, IL

condition? what you have is lawn and pine trees.

I would suggest you try some organic lawn care practices which will help - neutralize the soil, aerate the soil and improve the grasses ability to compete with the trees.

The trees, being pine, prefer acidic soil and the trees and grass must compete for water and sunlight ... in which case the trees will usually win... especially in the heat of summer...

I don't think you have a "condition" --- its just a typical thing that happens when one tries to grow turf grass underneath pine trees.... the weather is probably a huge factor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.