Ligularia 'The Rocket'

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've coveted this plant for as long as I can remember, and after at least 3 attempts to make one happy, I have blooms! The foliage is wonderful with or without blooms, but those yellow spikes are a beacon in the shade garden.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Silex, MO(Zone 5b)

Very nice!! I had several last year and one of them had a single bloom stalk on it and I lost them all. :( I couldn't keep them wet enough I guess.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This is a truly lovely ligularia. I bought two plants from a lovely nursery on the other side of the Kenai Peninsula several years ago. At the nursery owner's suggestion, I planted them in a spot that receives half-day sun, and they've been happy there ever since. Ligularia seems to like our mild weather and wet conditions, though this bed is one of the drier areas.

Once in a while, the plants look a bit wilty, but they do well and bloom every summer. I was a bit disappointed that they have not spread more, so I would like to get another plant and try it in another spot. I have not been successful germinating seeds, so I don't know if the seeds are sterile or they just don't mature in our short summers.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

We have this guy... We catch rainwater to keep him wet by... but in the perennial garden book it said before planting line the hole with plastic to hold the water at the roots... Interesting concept if a bit late for us. LOL

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This seems to behave similar to hydrangea, the way it wilts in the afternoon when the sun hits it for a short while. I does it even when the soil is moist. Never seems damaged by it though.

Last year there were 3 bloom stalks arising when it was hit by thrips first, then a storm broke the stems. A long awaited, happy site :)

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

That book by the way was "The Well Tended Perennial Garden" by Tracy Diaubistino-Aust sp?
My mind is mush..

This is our 3 year also. It is planted on the north side of the barn.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Gemini_sage. One of my favorites too. It is just beginning to bloom here. The ones in the most sun do look a bit wilted at times. But they just keep on getting big enough for me to divide and start new clumps. I bought a new variety this year with a leaf that looks like a european ginger, but no spikes so far. Hooray! Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is one is more shade this morning. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Patti! Love it with the red astilbe.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 5b)

These are 3 plants planted last year. Each had a spire then and I believe one had two. Now there are a total of 24 spires for the 3 plants. They have partial morning sun and I keep them well watered, but they are not standing in water or in a bog. The soil is clayey so it probably holds the water more than a loamier soil would.

Thumbnail by jackthompson
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Those are picture perfect Jack, thanks for sharing. Hope mine looks that good one day :)

Thornton, IL

OOh, now I wish I had bought this when I saw it, maybe next year! Thanks everyone for sharing your pics and experiences with this plant, they're really stunning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.