How do you find out what zone you are in?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I know I am zone 5 but the way they draw the contour lines I can't tell whether I am in 5a or 5b. They fall very close together here where altitude changes rapidly from place to place. How did you all find out?
Betty

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

you can call your local garden center of go on the internet and type in "usda hardiness zones"

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I can't actually find my town on the USDA map because it shows no towns or geological features -- like the Rio Grande in my area. But your tip about the internet led me to a site by the National Gardening Association which allows you to enter your zip code and to get your zone. That worked perfectly.

http://www.garden.org/zipzone/index.php

Betty

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Now, I noticed the link on the "my info" section of Dave's Garden. As I said before the USDA one doesn't give enough detail for me to find myself, but the Better Homes and garden one does. It puts me in 6b but I think when I look at the temperatures I agree more with the National Gardening Association, though it has been a while since we got lower than 5 below 0 F, Still, I remember times when it got to -20 F

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Also there is a heat zone map for growing season temperatures....probably more important for vegetable gardening than the usual hardiness zones.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Where do you find the heat zone map? You are right that that would be important for me, since altitude is a major factor in coolness of the nights which is a major factor in the setting of tomatoes and probably other veggies.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

This is a link to state by state heat maps.
At the bottom of this page is a link to the master copywrited site.

http://www.gardeningplaces.com/heatzonemap/

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Indy. I bookmarked it. According to this map I live in zone 4! Not 5a or 5b. I am not sure where that leaves me, but it does explain a lot. people can grow okra in much lower numbered zones than 5 but my okra comes out about 8 inches high and stays that way, producing 1 or 2 okras per plant, if I am lucky. Yet cool weather crops do well here all year -- spinach, lettuce, etc. Thanks so much for the info!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.