new cabbage plants

Beachwood, OH

i've never grown them but wonder if its possible to plant out cabbage plants at this late date. I have a few plants that need a garden home but I don't want to take up the space if they aren't going to grow. Do they want the heat of summer or cooler weather?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Depends somewhat on the cultivar. In Virginia we use to set fall cabbage in July. Mosttly late Flat Dutch, Drumheads, and Ballheads. These are long season cabbages that would head up nicely in September/October. A short season (early type) would have problems because they don't head up well in hot weather.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Dill, do you think if I started fall cabbage seeds this week they would have time to head up by a possible October 15 frost date? Thanks.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

From seeds, it would have to be a short season cultivar in the 60 day range. Allowing six weeks to grow your plants to transplant size, transplanting in late August, heading would occur around the last of October. Cabbage will stand some frost, but not freezes when they are heading. Down here, a lot of cabbage are set after labor day, mostly Bonnie's and head up around Thanksgiving

Beachwood, OH

Thanks! I have sets of the Flat Dutch. So I'll find a spot and put them in. If they croak - oh well.
My main concern is soil prep because for some reason this year I'm having few slugs but an overwhelming amount of earwigs and small chewing beetles. I don't use insecticide except in containers on the deck and would prefer to keep it that way with the vegetables.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I will start seeds asap and also buy the Bonnie starts if I can find any. Feed store and nurseries around here don't carry what they consider to be bedding plants past mid June.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.