Cosmos atrosanguineus otherwise known as Chocolate Cosmos......Who has them?

Who has chocolate cosmos? They are suppose to smell like chocolate. Let me know, please.
Thanks.

I have two of these bloomig now and yes they do smell like chocolate but I find you have to go close up to smell it properly.

Baa

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

baa, could we trade cuttings? i'd love some of that, check my journal for herbs and choose any you like and we could swap :)

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

I have Chocolate Cosmos that a good friend who works for an area Nursery
gave me. I hope it picks up some, it
doesn't react well to heat and humidity.

Jerrie

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

it doesnt smell unless the day is warm. I think it smells more like plain chocolate.

Mark

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I have one, it's very nice. Now there's 2 buds opening. It's really sad that the seeds aren't viable..

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

There were some at Stockton market. I was very tempted - next time I'll give in. Yes, I'd say it does smell of chocolate. Although you probably have to be very close tomit.

Is it hard to propagate these from cuttings? And when I overwinter it in a coll place should I let it dry and get dormant or let grow without any fertilizing and minimal watering?

Hi Evert

The cuttings seem to take pretty much like Dahlias so fairly easy if it doesn't get too hot and wet. I just keep them in the pot in a frost free place. It worked last year.

Hey, when should I move the chocolate cosmos in? What is the lowest temperature it can take? And should I let it dry for the winter..? And what is the good temperature for overwintering it? LMK.. :)

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

HI, If you like chocolate smell, try using cocoa bean mulch-I am in Hershey heaven using that!!!!!!!!

LOL Marcia

One problem with coco mulch is the dog loves the stuff, not too good for his insides though

Evert

I move mine in the greenhouse just as the first frosts arrive, which is mid october here.

This message was edited Friday, Aug 31st 8:32 PM

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I have two, they looked good and bloomed earlier. Now they are pityful. They must not like the humidity here. One is in a pot and one is in the ground. The one in the pot is doing a little better. The instructions that came with them said to store like dahlias.
Cala

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

I traded for a few clumps several months ago, the last one is dying and the others are gone! They can't stand the humidity! Also got too wet during the period when we had all those tropical storms.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

before y'all throw away your plants remember these plants grow from tubers which can be overwintered by keeping them in damp peat or compost.

Mark

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I bought one a few years back from Wayside Gardens. It looked okay the first year but limped along a few years and finally bit the dust. Maybe it is the heat and humidity. Brenda

If you like that chocolate smell, why not try chocolate scented geraniums? All the scented geraniums are really cool. Elvis

Elvis, do you have any cuttings? I haven't seen any chocolate scented geraniums here... :( Maybe I could get some from Sweden but.. Hmm.. I took today one flower of chocosmos and it is a very cool with other flowers, and very hardy.

I planted the chocolate cosmos today to a beautiful blue-white ceramic pot. It has grown to a big bushy plant... It is also full of buds. Yippee.. :}

Here's been very cold this week, I thought to plant the common cosmos plants also and take inside, so they could produce seeds and bloom with all the buds they got now. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.