When to plant rooted cuttings in the garden

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

OK, did my first set of Nikko Blue cuttings, used Dip n Grow, put them in a mix of peat and sand that was wetted through for 2 days, misting them every day, have them in indirect sun, will move them outside next week. But they're only little stems with a few leaves. How big should they be before they go into the ground? Next year? Should they be put into bigger pots? Right now they are in 8 oz plastic cups with holes poked in the bottoms (and the drainage has been fine). If I put them into bigger pots, 3 inch say, and leave them outside, should they be brought in for the winter? So many questions, I know....
Thanks in advance.

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

hey bb, i live in zone 8a...started my cutting in small pots 2.5" x 3.5" and when they root good am putting them into 1 gal containers until next spring. also, am putting mine into a hoop-house for the winter so they don't die back. - jon

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the info! What's a hoop-house?
Beverly

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

A hoop house is a round top greenhouse. But he didn't say if he kept it heated and at what temperature. I got mine by using a brick to weigh down a lower step until it rooted and then just cut it off the main plant and planted it directly into the ground.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Woodspirit1, thanks for the info. I want to give my cuttings away (with advice).
So knowing the temp, etc. would be important. Do you think they'd overwinter in a garage OK in my zone, for planting next year?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.