Deformed leaf on banana

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Guess I'll find out if anyone has discovered the new forum yet. :)

This banana froze back last year, but seemed to have recovered nicely on the original stalk. I potted in the rich mix that I use to baby all of my bananas out of the ground. All of the leaves on it are from the current year, since the previous ones froze off. The latest leaf, however, came out in rags, all with clean edges, though, not like they had been gnawed on or anything. I'm puzzled because I've never seen anything like this on my bananas, and the plant seems healthy otherwise.
This is an ice cream banana, if it makes any difference. (The leaf at the bottom is one of the first leaves out, and has indeed been chewed on.)

Thumbnail by tropicalaria
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

tropicalaria, I don't know whats the deal with the leaf, but am curious....did you leave that banana in the ground over the winter or in the pot? Do you leave any other cold hardy tropicals in the ground over the winter and if so, any successes or failures?

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

This banana was in a large pot in an unheated greenhouse for much of the winter. The only bananas I've put in the ground here so far are the basjoos, which grew back from the original stalks, and the musella lasiocarpa which I pulled back out of the ground recently. I do plan to try a lot more things, but slowly. I lost half of my bananas when one of the greenhouses went cold. The condensation on the inner surfaces froze!

Here is an updated picture of the affected banana. It is rapidly pushing out new tatters, and the entire stalk seems to be loosening up.

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

On the subject of other general tropicals that stayed out, there were quite a few. My valencia orange (now setting fruit) has survived many cold winters, including last year. I lost two of the trifoliates and two survived. The pineapple guava is remarkably hardy, and the kiwi A. chinensis surprised me by coming back. The taro that managed to stay completely dry survived, while the others rotted, though they were unmulched. I did lose my windmill palms last winter, though, along with the red and yellow P. edulis that were in the same greenhouse as the ice cream banana.

Here is a side view of my poor banana. Anyone?

Port Charlotte, FL

I believe the condition is referred to as "choke throat"; it is a typical reaction to a cold stressed situation....I have had several of my plants develop it after a frost stress and they never did produce a substantial bunch, so when it happens now I take the mother down and rely on the pups she produced for fruit

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.