Pot in part shade

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I foolishly purchased a blooming polemonium (Jacob's Ladder) on sale at the garden center, which requires water and shade. It was such a pretty blue! The problem is, I really have no damp shade, and really very little shade at all. My house is in the middle of an old pasture wilth a few ancient fruit trees here and there. I decided to try snd solve this dilemma by getting a large pot to put on the back porch which gets sun in the morning and some shade in the afternoon. I will be able to keep it watered, hopefully, because it is right off the kitchen. I have practically no experience with planting in containers, so I really have two questions. What planting medium and care does a container of this sort need (glazed pottery, about 13 inches tall and wide)? What other plants would have similar needs and would look good with it? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

West Richland, WA(Zone 7a)

From what I've read they do require a lot of shade but can handle some sun. Coleus is a personal favorite of mine which has a similiar requirements as far as shade and water. Depending on the variety coleus may get a little too big however. I have certainly seen a million different varieties of coleus in the nurseries lately however in just about every color combination. From what I have read, the more red pigment in the leaf the greater sun tolerance it has. I use pots a lot and seem to have the most success with the glazed or unglazed pottery opposed to plastic. They usually require additional water however because the pottery sucks up a lot of the excess wateer due to them being so porous. Your local nursery should have some good general purpose potting soil for containers. I am also a fan of the Miracle Grow potting soil that you can pick up at Lowe's for example. Just make sure you get the potting soil and not the garden soil (did that the bag before last)! Be sure to add a little gravel to the bottom of the pot to ensure good drainage; that seems to be key with a polemonium. My Mom always makes sure to put a rock or a broken piece of another pot slightly over the drainage hole as well. Sometimes you'll lose dirt or too much water out the bottom of your pot, especially if the drainage hole is large. I hate seeing dirt I paid good money for fall out of the pot or even the bag of potting soil!
I hope this was of some help. Good luck and let us know how it worked out.
-Stacey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.