A tiny container garden

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

I ran out of pots when I did some major repotting in late May. So I grabbed an old mug I didn't want to throw out for sentimental reasons. Its got a couple of succulents (may be crassula or not) that I purchased from Lowes. It is thriving. I put it outside in direct sunlight when I am guaranteed there will be no rain that day. This has caused the rosette plant to go from regular green to that honey color it now has. No, there is no drainage hole. There is gravel at the bottom plus a layer of charcoal to keep the soil sweet. Then cactus soil with some sand mixed in and the top dressing of gravel. Please don't yell at me for not having a drainage hole. 8-) I have been potting cactus and succulents successfully in pots without hole for years without problems. You just have to know when not to water. 8-) When not outside it sits on a south-facing windowsill. I think it looks cute and wanted to share, hoping to inspire others to "think outside the pot".

Thumbnail by schneeflocke
Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is anothe view. I like the different colors and types of leaves of the two plants. The bright red stems with the small green and white leaves contrast with the honey colored spear shaped leaves of the other plant. I think they play well off each other.

Thumbnail by schneeflocke
Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Very nice. I have a small chihuahua planter that I've been struggling to figure out what plants to put into. Now that I've seen what success you've had with your tiny planter, I might give succulents a try.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

When I give plants from my garden away I place them in mugs that I have bought from our local Goodwill store. It makes it more personal. Thanks for sharing. Linda

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much for that idea! I am going to have a gazillion jade plantlets in a few months I plan on giving away. Getting an inexpensive mug from Goodwill would be a perfect way to pass them on.

For the chichuahua planter you could try a small jade cutting. It takes about 6-8 weeks for them to fully root and start to grow new leaves. So you wouldn't have to worry about it outgrowing the planter. Actually that probably applies to most succulents too. 8-) Renee

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey, I have several pots/cups with no holes in them, I just make sure I put a bunch of stones in the bottom for drainage...!! I have so many coffee cups we don't use so I decided to recycle them as small planters!
Becky

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Becky: And you end up with the cutest planters that way. And the cup handle makes it SO easy to move the planter around 8-) Do you have any examples that you could post on this thread? I would love to see what other people are planting in cups/mugs. I am currently getting some type of ivy to grow in another mug at work. It isn't big enough for a photo yet.
Renate

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.